Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good JB trap plant: Pennsylvania Smartweed?

Posted by matriarchy 6 in PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 8:39

I let a bunch of this grow outside my back gate. It is usually considered a weed, but it also listed in many wildflower databases. I like the little pink flowers and the way the stems turn red after a while.

But this year, I also noticed that the JB love to mate on it. Apparently, it's like a Poconos hotel room with a heart-shaped hot tub, for Japanese Beetles. I am always knocking pairs of beetles off in to my Soapy Bucket of Doom.

Maybe it keeps some of the little buggers from flying deeper into my yard? I notice the furtherest rose seldom gets JB, unlike the one near the back gate, where even the hint of a bloom lets me knock off a dozen bugs at a time.

Anyone else notice this?

Pennsylvania Smartweed - Polygonum pensylvanicum
< img src="http://www.delawarewildflowers.org/polygonum_pensylvanicum.jpg">

Here is a link that might be useful: More about Pennsylvania Smartweed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good JB trap plant: Pennsylvania Smartweed?

Nevermind. None of them eat the smartweed anymore - because they are all over at the Passionflower Buffet. I barely get to see the flowers before they are eaten by JB and four-line bugs.

I'm never planting Summer Poinsettia (Amaranthus tricolor) again, either. It seems to attract everything - flea beetles, four-line bugs, japanese beetles - even something I am calling the "three-line bug" because I don't know what it it is. The plants look like I peppered them with a shotgun.

o
RE: Good JB trap plant: Pennsylvania Smartweed?

My husband designed a trap worked great this year.Ill be ready next year with all we caught cant be many left.yeah right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here