Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
False Indigo Seed Pods (Propagation from Seed)

Posted by JohnFromPerryCoPA zone 6 scPA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 05 at 9:36

I have a false indigo plant with lots of green seed pods developing. If I remember last years crop, they turned black. From some reading about the subject plant, I recall that false indigo is difficult to divide and transplant from root/plant divisions. Has anyone had success collecting the seed and growing the plant from seed? Do the seeds need to be stratified or handled in any special way before planting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: False Indigo Seed Pods (Propagation from Seed)

It's quite easy. Boil water, pour water in a mug or cup, and place seeds in very hot water, and allow seeds to soak overnight.
Seeds will germinated close to 100% within a week when sown in potting mix.
This method works with almost any pea family member including Cercis, Baptisia, Thermopsis, Indigofera, etc.

o

Carol: That is really interesting. I will cross-post your suggestion on the National Home Gardening Club website as well.

o

Do the seed pods have to turn black or can one propagate with this method using pods that are still green?

o

My false indigo comes from division. I bought it from someone who sells perrenials from her garden. I've had the one I bought from her for 4 years and plan to divide mine this fall.

o

When do you plant the seeds? August, September? or in the spring? My plant is getting huge, and I have a lot of the seed pods, and would give it a try-starting from seeds. Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here