Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnfromperrycopa

False Indigo Seed Pods (Propagation from Seed)

johnfromperrycopa
18 years ago

I have a false indigo plant with lots of green seed pods developing. If I remember last years crop, they turned black. From some reading about the subject plant, I recall that false indigo is difficult to divide and transplant from root/plant divisions. Has anyone had success collecting the seed and growing the plant from seed? Do the seeds need to be stratified or handled in any special way before planting?

Comments (5)

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

It's quite easy. Boil water, pour water in a mug or cup, and place seeds in very hot water, and allow seeds to soak overnight.
    Seeds will germinated close to 100% within a week when sown in potting mix.
    This method works with almost any pea family member including Cercis, Baptisia, Thermopsis, Indigofera, etc.

• johnfromperrycopa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carol: That is really interesting. I will cross-post your suggestion on the National Home Gardening Club website as well.

• slthaw
    17 years ago

Do the seed pods have to turn black or can one propagate with this method using pods that are still green?

• maggiecola
    17 years ago

My false indigo comes from division. I bought it from someone who sells perrenials from her garden. I've had the one I bought from her for 4 years and plan to divide mine this fall.

• jeanniemarie
    10 years ago

When do you plant the seeds? August, September? or in the spring? My plant is getting huge, and I have a lot of the seed pods, and would give it a try-starting from seeds. Thank you.

Sponsored