Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cls1978

Any of my Bucks County neighbors here?

cls1978
18 years ago

I'm here in Levittown and was wondering how my neighbor's veggie gardens are doing so far:) I'm growing 14 tomato plants (ate my first ripe cherry yesterday), 3 bell pepper plants, and 3 cucumber plants (picked my first one last night too).

How are your veggies faring this weather?

Christine

Comments (35)

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

i'm not too far from you, in montgomery county, right on northeast philly's border.

we just finished the last of the lettuce - would like to be able to grow this all year long and avoid the store stuff. this was my first year for harvesting asparagus - yummy! right now, i have plenty of green tomatoes, anxiously awaiting the red ones. i have 62 plants of 12 different varieties.

picked a bunch of sugar peas over the weekend, and my they were tasty. getting very few beans so far and i have many plants. there's a lot of green to everything, and i see the flowers on zucchini and squash, but no fruits yet. i'm guessing the harvest will hit all at once.

my peppers are looking great. some of my bells and my italian sweets are coming up, but i am holding off one more week to pick them. i see a few others popping up on the jalepeno and habaneros and such, but not yet pickable.

i'll tell you one thing, my WEEDS are doing great this year! LOL i'm going to have to learn which ones are edible since they seem to be in abundance

• carol_se_pa_6
    18 years ago

Earthly Delights:

I'm in Abington Township. Where are you located? Sounds like we are in the same neck of the woods!

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

carol, yes, we are neighbors!!!! i'm in the same township, in rockledge boro. large internet....small world!

• carol_se_pa_6
    18 years ago

ED:

I live in Hollywood!

Carol

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

oh my goodness, next you are going to tell me you shop at genuardi's!!!!!

come for tea and bring a shovel in case you want something i have!

• Patriz
    18 years ago

Hey, you two...I'm right off of Pine and Bloomfield, and go to that Genuardis, as I take Shady Lane around the road! It's nice to have fellow Gwebbers around :)
    Christine...my tomatoes are doing quite well...lots of flowers, some set fruit. I only have 12 veggie plants...Beefmaster, Mortgage Lifter, and Brandywine. Yes, the weeds are trying to gain control...LOL.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

so are there any plant swaps in our area that you know about?

• carol_se_pa_6
    18 years ago

Not that I know of! But we will have to get together sometime and do our own plant swap. I do shop at Genuardi's and even buy plants there sometimes. Did you see the roses they had in the spring - DAs no less!! I do miss Franks - a lot!!!

• murial
    18 years ago

I know this is off topic. Saw your post and it made me homesick. I grew up in Highland Park. Always had the best flowers and vegetables while living in my Mom's house. Hope you're having the same success now.

• cls1978
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Murial - my hubby grew up in Highland Park:) He loved it there!

• luvsgrtdanes
    18 years ago

Hi, I'm right inside the county line in far northeast Philly. Not to many veggies going on here just some tomatoes and a few squash but they seem to be doing well. Sounds like we could have a pretty local swap.

• cls1978
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'd love to do a swap:)

Who's in?

• peggy1155
    18 years ago

I'm in Morrisville, not growing any veggies this year but my neighbors tomatoes seem to be doing very well. :)

• murial
    18 years ago

I loved the old farmland that the houses were built on to grow all the backyard vegetables. Specially the tomatoes! I haven't had a decent one since I moved to Mercer County in 83.

I only remember Snipes as a nursery center in Morrisville. Any more there now? Is Frank's still there?

• Sally_D
    18 years ago

I am in Yardley and mostly growing roses this year. Frank's is gone. We have Shady Brook Farm that is expanding.

• caliloo
    18 years ago

I am in Newtown and have a few tomatoes, several roses, lots of different hostas, annuals, peppers, and the other usual suspects.

I would love a plant swap too!

I must admit, though, I am not a fan of Shadybrook... I've seen diseased plants there that I pointed out to the manager and her response was "If it dies, we'll replace it". No thanks, I am NOT bringing home Powdery Mildew, Blackspot and Hosta Virus X to spread to my healthy plants!

Alexa

• peggy1155
    18 years ago

Muriel, Frank's in gone. :( (I miss it.) Snipes is still doing the "Pick Your Own" stuff but that's all. They were a little pricey but I did get some nice plants from them that I couldn't find anywhere else.

I also would be up for a swap!

• murial
    18 years ago

I remember the last plant I purchased at Snipes was their small place up on 413 outside of Newtown about 10 years ago. Several hostas for my Mom's front yard. Almost fell over at the price even back then, cause they are so much more affordable and plentiful where I'm living now. But I was already there and it more convenient to buy them and put them right in the ground.
    Sniff. I did a drive-by to her house a few years ago. All the plants are gone. The new owners extended the front of the house by 10 feet or more.
    If I were closer I'd love to do a plant swap. Darn it.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

so, has anyone ever hosted a swap, attended one that wsa well put together? any ideas when, where and how?

i would be very much interested in this, just don't feel i am experienced enough to do it, but would assist in any way, shape or form.

• carol_se_pa_6
    18 years ago

I've never been to one but would be willing to help out.

• cls1978
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've never been to one either...lol...I just like the idea of getting together and meeting neighbors, share some plants and/or seeds and have some fun.

Any ideas?

• caliloo
    18 years ago

Okay - another "never been to a swap" person here, but I would love to meet my neighbors who love to garden!

Alexa

• lucifer53
    18 years ago

I live in Holland, Pa. Northampton, township. I would like to arrange to meet with all of you for a seed or plant swap I've been gardening for 42 years. I have recently shown several people in my neiborhood how to setup a garden. I can arrange for use to meet at the cooperative extention building at neshaminy manor located at the intersection of route 332 and 611. I plan to attend there master gardener program when I retire in two and a half years. I women down the street starts this august. Please respond, if you would be interested

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

wow, gardening with the devil (LOL)

i would be interested, please advise the date(s) you are considering.

thanks kindly for arranging this.

earthly

• carol_se_pa_6
    18 years ago

Count me in and let me know what dates are being considered. It would be nice to meet some of our GW neighbors.

• cls1978
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Count me in:) Let me know where, when and how to help!

Christine

• cyberianblonde
    18 years ago

Hi Gang!
    I just today found this forum....how exciting! Neighbors!!
    I live in Bensalem and am very new to gardening. At this point I'm only growing flowers, mostly roses. But my Dad who also lives in Bensalem has a crop of tomatoes and herbs that are not to be believed! He grows them in pots and a raised planter as he is not able to bend over very well. It's so nice to meet you all!!
    Becky
    P.S. What is your favorite nursery around here?

• Sally_D
    18 years ago

I would be interested in meeting everyone, too. I am in Yardley. I grow mostly roses but have a few perennials to give away. Sounds like fun.

• lucifer53
    18 years ago

ladies and gentlemen I was unable to find a place to do a plant and seed swap until now. I attended a organic gardening seminar at the Churchville Nature Center. I found out that they will be having a seed and plant swap on Monday May 8, 2006 at 7:15 AM. If anyone is still interested please let me know. Also, February 13, 2006 they are having a tomato growing seminar at 7:15.

• suebo
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I am new on the board and just wanted to say hello.
    I am not in Buck County, but my mom lives in Fairless Hills and I spent my summers in Levittown, Vermillion Hills.
    I actually live in Norheast Philly. It's nice to see so many people from my area here on the boards. Hope to meet lots of great new frieds!

Susan

• lucifer53
    18 years ago

I have an error in my message for the plant and seed swap. It should read 7:15 P.M.

• evilei
    18 years ago

Hey Peeps! I'm in North Park! I belong to the Southern Bucks Garden Club. We meet the first Tuesday of the month at the Silver Lake Nature Center at 7:00. February's meeting is a demonstration on Winter Sowing.

We do a plant swap every year too. Usually it's at our May or June meeting.

We also have a garden tour every year this year it is scheduled for June 17th. I need gardens, so if you are interested in being ON the tour let me know.

I am the secretary for the club, if you would like to be added to the mailing list email me your address & I'll put you on the list.

Ei

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago

I'm in Yardley and my DH used to have a beautiful vegetable garden but our trees and the neighbors trees have gotten so large the garden is now too shady----boohoo.

HI Caliloo---don't forget your Azaleas.

Florence

• clutterqueen_2007
    16 years ago

A little short notice, i just found this board and had a really hard time, joining, but anyway.............
    there is a plant swap tomorrow wed may 8, at 6pm at the doylestown library in the back of the bldg on the loading dock. very knowledge people and helpful, and organized
    if you have any questions email me. Doylestown is off of 611 and near 313 just ask for library, considered in the cultural district.

• marial1214
    16 years ago

I live near Allentown. Does anyone have any string bean seeds they could send me? I went to Lowe's in Bethlehem and they sent all their seeds back for the year. I really wanted to plant string beans this year. I could reimburse for product & postage. My first batch never came up, I'm tired of waiting for them.

Sponsored