Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwoods_gw

Crickets

mwoods
18 years ago

I live in Upper Bucks county and still have yet to hear a cricket. This seems very odd to me. There are lots of frog noises and those buzzy insects at night but not a single cricket so far and I miss them. Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments (12)

• caliloo
    18 years ago

I think all your crickets moved to my house. My DH and I were sitting outside a few nights ago and the crickets were so loud they were annoying! LOL!

Alexa

• stimpy926
    18 years ago

I don't think they normally get started til 'late summer' , don't they? Mid August, I remember. (The regular cicadas just got started around here about a week ago -)

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

living in upper bucks also, and i think that the crickets have just emerged within the past few days. as of last week, it was wonderfully quiet at night. tonight is somewhat loud, and i'm sure that within a week it will be the same as every summer, when it's nearly impossible to have a conversation outside.

• peggy1155
    18 years ago

I'm in lower Bucks - lots of crickets here! :)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I noticed over the weekend that the katydids are out now. Loud things! :-o

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

We have a few crickets, not as loud as usual, but we have lots of loud katydids which I also love.

• mwoods
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The katydids have been almost deafening at night. Last night after bringing in the dog,I heard one little chirp chirp of a cricket. It was out on the front porch somewhere,so I guess they are just now gearing up.

• emiceekayeewhy
    18 years ago

The sound of the crickets is one of my favorite sounds. I've been hearing them for at least a week, here in Lower Merion. They always make me sad in a way because I know summer is half way over when the crickets start.

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

oh, they're definitely out now. during these hot and humid days with the AC on, i can still hear them.

emiceekayeewhy, i know exactly what you mean. i've always associated the cicadas with the same thing. however, considering the summer we've had, i'm not as sad this year (but that's going to be another post)

• lynn_d
    18 years ago

I was listening to the sounds last night, and it is a bit sad to know we are on the way to fall already. I don't see the crickets anymore, I guess the frogs are taking care of them.

• skippy05
    18 years ago

I heard them last night, a whole group of them........
    (in Philly)

• RodeoSquirrel
    18 years ago

thank you for this post. ive been going crazy trying to figure out what is making that sound at night, its the katydid's lol
    now theres a shrill type noise that i hear at night..i wonder what that can be?
    im in lower berks county and the crickets have been around for the past month. of course i may have helped, adding crickets i bought for my baby frogs :)

Sponsored