Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kplank626

What to do about insane weed overgrowth?

kplank626
10 years ago

Hi all,

Sorry if this is not the correct section in which to post this, I'm new here.

My husband and I purchased our home in January and have been trying to clean up the neglected-for-decades landscaping in the front yard. There are two areas in which we're still struggling with the weeds. With all the rain we've had here in Pittsburgh over the summer, the weeds got over 6' tall at one point because the combo of being watered so much + not being able to get out to weedwhack in the downpour. We finally did weedwhack them and spray with a straight vinegar/dish soap/salt combo, but that didn't seem to do much and they're slowly creeping back up.

The two areas total up to at least 200 sq feet, and are solidly covered in weeds and poison ivy, so pulling/digging by hand isn't really an option. My husband is actually on prednisone right now because he got poison ivy so bad just from weedwhacking in the general vicinity.

What are our options here to get rid of these darn weeds? We've so far tried straight vinegar, the vinegar/dollop of soap/dash of salt mix, and boiling water. None of them have worked. We have crabgrass, poison ivy, thistles, and probably a hundred other varieties that I don't know the names of. I would like to avoid RoundUp or similar products at all costs, but if that's what we have to do then I'm willing to try it as a last resort. I'm so sick of having a weed jungle for a front yard.

Would renting a rototiller and tilling all the weeds under do any good? Or would they just re-root themselves and come back up? This is my first time having a house with a garden so I'm a bit of a novice about this all.

TIA!

Comments (14)

Sponsored