Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lammyman_gw

giant green beetles, what are they

lammyman
18 years ago

I have a small swarm of green/gold metallic beetles, similar in shape to japanese beetle, but substantially larger (about 3/4" in length). They would appear to be coming out of holes in the ground, and then returning to the same holes. They bang into everything all day long, windows, doors, me...

What are they, do they cause damage? Please advise!

Comments (13)

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

The green June beetle (Cotinis nitida), perhaps. They are gorgeous. The adults feed mostly on fruit. You are probably seeing females going underground to lay their eggs. They do this over a span of a couple weeks.

• tmtmom
    18 years ago

Yes!- I've been meaning to look these up! I first noticed them a month or two back while I was digging up sod under an old cedar tree- at that time they were just larvae. I first thought they were acorns, maybe from mulch that the previous owner had used, since they larva is encased in some sort of shell that looks like it might be made out of soil? Eventually- many squished "acorns" later- I realized they were an insect of some kind. Last week if I broke open a casing, the immature beetle inside was more brown-gold than green, but the ones that are now zooming around are a beautiful irridescent green. They're reminiscent of the scarab beetles that used to be made into jewelry in the Victorian Age. I haven't noticed them eating anything, mostly hovering over the grass and making the dogs go crazy. I wish I could have identified them earlier, as I dug up hundreds of larvae, and wasn't sure if I should make an effort to save them, or assume they were bad guys and destroy them. Looks like some of them made it! Are they a serious threat to fruit?....

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

No, not really. The larvae supposedly do damage to grass but I don't care about that so I don't pay attention. I look forward to seeing June beetles every year, they are so pretty. Right now we're just seeing May beetles like crazy. No JBs yet. Someone should tell them they're late! LOL

• elongrad97
    18 years ago

They are not so gorgeous when your trapped in your car, driving down the road, and hear a loud buzzing sound...only to find the world's largest irridescent beetle flying around INSIDE your car! I spend 10 minutes the other day pulled over outside of West Chester trying to swat it out of the car. I think it's still in there. :( Maybe I should dust my upholstry with Sevin? Just kidding...

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

LOL yes anything that loud will scare me while I'm driving too. But I'd be very relieved it wasn't a wasp or bee. That I can't deal sharing a car with!

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

i had one fly into my hair the other morning, i had bent over to pick a weed, one came buzzing and as i moved to get up, it flew right into my hair. the whole scene was rather comical.

this is the first year for me seeing these massive things and i agree, their colors are gorgeous. i was wondering if the difference in color (green/gold) had anything to do with their gender.

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

Has anyone else heard that classic recording of a green June beetle flying towards and landing on a microphone? I have the recording saved on a disk somewhere. It's great. I'll try to find it. LOL

• fallingblackstar_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Okay, I'm less bugged out now- no pun intended! last night I woke up out of a dead sleep to my cat freaking out- and this loud whirring in the dark. i heard the thunkthunkthunk of this thing hitting my walls and windows and upon sitting up to inspect the sound, the unidentified and unseen thing flew into my long and sleep-knotted hair causing me to scream like a little girl and run around the room frantic! it was in my hair for damn near a full minute until i got it out!!! What was that thing? My boyfriend, now awake- hid under the covers while i carried on...Was that a small bat? some sort of bird?...
    I turned on the light to find this beetle- almost an inch long- same description as above! Light green- gold hues... It was pretty- beautiful even- even at 1:30 a.m.... Still, strange and disruptive!!
    Needless to say, after i got my attacker outside, sleep was restless wondering- How the hell did that thing get in here? and- Are beetles mutating into GIANT almost bird-like creatures? ha!

• Tracy Brant
    16 years ago

OH! So THAT's what that was! I thought it was a giant mutant JB and I drowned it in soapy water when I found it on the daisies.

• dirtdiggindiva
    16 years ago

I just saw my first one yesterday but it was dead. I showed it to my bug loving 4yr old and she threw it in my weed bucket. She didn't like it.

• fivemurfs
    16 years ago

They are swarming our yard, but don't appear to be in the neighbor's yards. How did we get so lucky? Are you sure they don't eat plants?

• little3dee
    16 years ago

What is the difference beteen June beetles and Japanese Beetles? I thought they were the same? One we should get rid of and one keep? I have many green metalic beetles all around and they are definitely eating my plants.

• singingrickrode_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

We just started to see these large beetles. Where were they before today? It rained last night and this morning they were everywhere. Are they destructive? How long might they be around? Thanks for the info.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor