Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One hydrangea refusing to bloom

Posted by redlime 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 05 at 11:19

Hi all,

I am new here, so I hope you don't mind if I jump in with a question. I have two very old hydrangea bushes that were there when I bought my house. They used to both have beautiful blooms, but now only one blooms!

I cut the one that doesn't bloom back a couple years ago, but I left plenty of it there, and lots of old wood since I know it blooms on that. It makes tons of leaves, but no flowers. The other one looks great with a bunch of flowers.

Any ideas what the problem can be?

Thanks!
Erin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One hydrangea refusing to bloom

Hydrangeas are tricky to prune. I think you probably cut off the next year's blooms even though you were careful. I don't prune hydrangeas at all except when I'm cutting them for bouquets.

And welcome to the Gardenweb, fellow Pennsylvanian!

o

I have a 7 yr old Hydrangea that is playing tricks on me. It was in a very hot southern exposure so I transplanted it 3 yrs ago. It bloomed well. Now it doesn't bloom at all!! I don't cut back until I see blossoms and that's not
happening> I need help too.

o

i have three, planted them all at the same time - 4 years ago. this was my very first year that each of them bloomed. the blooms didn't last as long, but i blame that on the pounding rain that we had early on. i was so thrilled they finally bloomed. told anyone that would listen to me. took pictures too!

i doubt you want to dig yours up since they are probably very well rooted. let it take it's nap, i'm sure it will wake up again and honor you for years to come.

o

The Hydrangea Forum might be able to help you. I bought my first this yearan Endless Summer. The developer recommends a fertilizer with a high middle number, such as MiracleGro's Bloom Booster.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here