Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what do you use

Posted by roorezzi Poconos (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 11:26

in your gardens? Being in a wooded and having issues with carpenter ants, DH doesn't want to use Mulch. I am not a fan of rocks/pea gravel. PO had those in and we are slowly getting rid of them all. But we finally cleaned up the flower bed in the front entry and DH doesn;t want to put mulch in. ANy other suggestions.

Thanks Ruth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what do you use

You can use grass clippings, pine needles, and fall leaves (chopped up). We use compost but if you don't want to weed you'll have to put a layer of the above mentioned on top of the compost. My husband keeps up with the weeding so our compost mulch is merely for retaining moisture, not to keep down weeds. However, grass clippings, pine needles, and chopped up fall leaves will easily help reduce your weeding.

o
forgot to mention

You'll need a laywer of about an inch for grass clippings, pine needles or chopped up leaves.

If you're wondering how to chop of the leaves--just use the lawn mower. You can save fall leaves for spring by putting in bags or just keeping them in a pile somewhere.

Just remember if you use grass clippings to not use any that are going to seed. Your weekly grass clippings aren't likely to go to seed though--because it's being cut all the time.

o
RE: what do you use

I use mlushroom soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here