Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weed disposal

Posted by beffyschw z6 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 05 at 12:53

I have a large amount of weeds, including thistles, I want to get rid of safely. I do not have trash pick up nor can I burn then unless I put them in a barrel which would take a long time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weed disposal

Yes. Compost them. Some gardeners don't compost their weeds, but they constitute most of my garden waste, along with perennials that I cut back in the fall. It's difficult for the pile to get hot enough to kill the weed seeds, however, so you need to turn over the compost as it decomposes.

o

I second composting them. Also if you get them cut/pulled before they set bloom there are no viable seeds to worry about.

o

I'm with witsend on this, that's what I do. :)

o

i agree with everybody else. with grass clippings, shredded newspaper and kitchen scraps, i have more than enough material for composting. however, i still put weeds in the compost bin just for the smug feeling of satisfaction that it gives me, knowing that something that was choking my plants will now eventually be helping them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here