Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover for slope with shale/slate

Posted by kjs1271 Z6 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 13:03

Hi all from a newbie! First time start from scratch gardner here. DH and I just moved into our newly constructed home and I am desperate for help with a slope next to our driveway. These wicked rains have been washing out our slope giving us big ruts. I am hoping to find some ideas on a ground cover that is fast spreading with a good root system that won't wash out. (Hate to have plants laying at the bottom of the driveway after a hard rain.)

We live in the "Slate Belt" area of PA, near Pen Argyl / Wind Gap so our soil is loaded with slate/shale.

I appreciated any feedback you all may have!
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover for slope with shale/slate

What kind of sun exposure does the slope get? There are a myriad of possibilities range form vines like vinca minor or pachysandra to low-growing ground cover shrubs like some creeping junipers or cottoneaster, etc. Slopes can also be terraced to plant perennials if desired.

One of my sisters has a slope to her driveway where it borders her neighbor and she put some junipers along part of it and hosta on other parts, and these have been filling it in nicely. Again it depends on what the sun exposure is regarding certain ground covers (some prefer shade). Of course laying down sod is another possibility.

o

This area gets full sun - all day. We looking for something that we don't have to mow, it's a pretty steep slope so sod or seeding is out.

Thanks for your reply!
Kim

o

I like Lamium, vinca or if it is an area that you really don't want to plant anything else and don't care if an invasive takes over you might consider Bishops weed or chameleon plant.

Be cautious about the latter two. Once planted they will thrive and take over surrounding areas, but if it really is a place that you want to cover quickly, that will do the trick.

Alexa

o

I will second the lamium. It comes either with white, pink or yellow flowers. I have mostly white lamium as the leaves are very pretty and two-toned. I have them going down the side of my driveway. Vinca would also be nice as it gets little blue flowers. It does tend to take over somewhat.

Peaches

o

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Time for some research!
Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here