Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bug swarms (and accompanying swarms of swallows)

Posted by fusty_overalls z6 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 05 at 13:07

Last nite I was driving home (across the McKees Rocks Bridge near Pittsburgh, for those of you who know where that is) and first I noticed a very happy swarm of swallows diving and swooping.

When we stopped at the light, I realized that there were many little bugs around my car...just flying around and bumping into the car and stuff. As I sat there watching the swallows, I noticed what looked like mini tornados...kinda grey and off in the distance...but, the weather was nice and not breezy at all.

When the light changed and I drove closer, I realized that these were not tornadoes (of course) but HUGE swarms of bugs all flying in circles together forming a tall column several stories high! There were probably 4 or 5 of them that I could see from the bridge. What do you think was going on?

I wanted to run home and give the bats that live in my woods directions to the bridge! ;-) There were just too many bugs even for the dozens of swallows that were gathering.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bug swarms (and accompanying swarms of swallows)

If you were near water, particularly moving water(stream, river, etc.) I'm gonna guess what you were seeing was one of two things.

1) A swarm of caddis flies, an aquatic insect that gathers in huge numbers along streams before ovipositing; that is, dropping eggs on the water.

2) It could also have been a swarm of mayflies beginning their final act of female ovipositing, and male fertilizing, both of which take place over water. Once accomplished, the adults die and drop to the water flat-winged. This is called a "spinner fall." Adult mayflies have no mouths, they don't eat, they live but about one full day. Hope this helps. Cheers!

o

I once attended a Pirates game, as the mayflies were swarming on the river. ICK! Nasty!

However, its a good sign that the river is returning to health.

o

oh! ok. are they (caddis or mayflies) large? these were kinda mosquito-looking...maybe a little bigger. they didn't seem to be falling. they were sort of going in an upward spiral. they were over water...right under the bridge is the river and the sewage treatment plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here