Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizabethmouse

Tomato ripening question...

lizabethmouse
17 years ago

Hi!

I am growing tomatoes in an actual garden this year for the first time. In the past, I have only done container gardening. I have 7 tomato plants; First Lady, Viva Italia, Brandywine, and Mister Stripey. The fruit is forming nicely, and I have many, many tomatoes! However, they are all still green. That brings me to my question; is it odd that none of them are ripe yet? I am growing a grape tomato plant in a pot, and have had a few ripe ones already. I don't know if I am worrying too much about the others...it's just that my Husband commented that he thought it was odd that none of the big tomatoes were ripe yet, and now he has me concerned.

What do you think? Can I relax and know that everything is okay, or should I panic?

Thanks for any and all help!

Comments (8)

• maggiecola
    17 years ago

Ripening depends on so many things. If you planted them later, they'll ripen later. The heat from the sun also contributes to ripening so if they're planted in a different location this year, they'll take longer to ripen if it's not as sunny. Also, different varieties ripen at different rates. Just so you know, none of my neighbors have tomatoes turning color yet.

• mikemillerohyeah
    17 years ago

I have had the same concerns over the past week or two.

I live in eastern PA, and probably a week and a half ago had tons of green tomatoes on every plant. But every day for a good week, they remained green. We have had a lot of rain the past 2 weeks, but did have 2 super humid 100 degree days in which I thought would aid in the ripening.

But good news the past few days. I picked 1 tomato Thursday. Another on Saturday, and I just picked 4 more ripe ones an hour ago, and just woofed down a huge salad with them in it.

So I'd say give it a few more days. I guarantee they'll all ripen at once and you won't know what to do with them all...

Miller.

• lynn_d
    17 years ago

First time 'mater grower here, only 4 plants in a huge container. Loads and loads of fruit but they are all green so far.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Ate my first container "Snow White" cherry tomato yesterday! YUM! More are starting to turn. "San Marzanos" are now ripening but "Big Beef" are still green (soon... soon). I think the upcoming heatwave will trigger them now...

• crazy4stitches
    17 years ago

Checking in from right outside Harrisburg. My early girls have been ripening one or two a day now but all the rest are still green. I think we are all gettin anxious now. There's nothing like a 'mater sandwich on toast! You know what those buggers are gonna do to us? They're going to ALL ripen at once!!! They'll show us! Remember....a watched tomato never ripens! Have a good day..Robin

• gazania_gw
    17 years ago

My "watched" tomato finally did ripen and as of 5 minutes ago is history! Yum! Yum! It was sooo tasty. This is a new one for me called 'Sunstart', an early determinate. The plant is absolutely loaded with mostly medium sized fruit with a few being very large. 3 or 4 more will be ready to pick in the next day or so, but all others are still looking mighty green. I couldn't wait and fried a couple of these green ones last week. Love 'em that way too!

• lizabethmouse
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, I finally was able to eat one tomato yesterday...a First Lady. It was pretty good! I have a few others beginning to ripen on that same plant. Other tomatoes on other plants look like they might be getting close to blushing, but are still green. I am still feeling anxious, but a bit more hopeful! Incidentally, my grape tomatoes are ripening like crazy, but I guess they are always a bit quicker than the big ones. For now, my fingers are still crossed!!

• lynn_d
    17 years ago

I have never grown a tomato in my life till this year. Picked up some generic plants under the label "patio tomatoes" so don't know the variety. I ate the first one yesterday! YAY!!!! They are small but sooooo good! And they are loaded down with green maters, I can't wait!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio