Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stimpy926

How hot is it?

stimpy926
18 years ago

So hot, just 5 minutes of walking around the yard produces rivers running down my face and back. ewwwwwwwhhh!

I'm not complaining about the moisture we're getting though, wahoo!

Comments (10)

• Kathy46
    18 years ago

I've done the bare minimum in the garden with this heat .We need a gentle soaking rain to get the gardens back on track. That downpour Sunday just ran off.

Kathy (from delco)

• lynn_d
    18 years ago

It amazes me....I was standing there totally drenched after that exhausting job of bending down and pulling at least 3 or 4 weeds....and the radio announcer said that it was 76*.......I thought he had to be kidding, that it had to be at least 112!

• chescobob
    18 years ago

I go out in it every day and work several hours. I've been moving about 50 yards of soil into a 100' long by 6' foot high terrace to tame a hill. There are 14 shrubs under my deck waiting to be planted in their designated areas on the terrace. After that, I will add stepping stones, plant grass, add edging, etc., etc.

I just get completely soaked and covered with dirt. Today, I fell on my back in the dirt after I was soaking. Talk about a dirt-bag!

• susiebuckhouse
    18 years ago

I have had it with this summer. I can't even keep a cilantro plant going. All it wants to do is make flowers, seed and die. I can't seem to get anything done before the heat gets so bad every day. The humidity has been awful this year, black spot in abundance. Has anyone noticed that the bind weed seems to love the hot humid weather? It almost killed my air conditioner, because it wrapped itself around the unit. That stuff seems to grow about a foot a day, and new ones keep on coming. I have a silver lace vine that I pruned back a few weeks ago, and now it is twice as big as before it was pruned! I can't win in this mess this year. One good thing. I planted a trumpet vine 4 years ago, and this year it is blooming like a wild fire. I was actually thinking of digging it up had it not bloomed this year. I am sure glad that I kept it, as it is so beautiful. I guess that vines love the heat.

• stimpy926
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Susie, I believe Cilantro is a cool weather plant. I've never had success growing it when it's hot. Yes, &)^&*% bindweed seems to do better during wet summers. During the drought a few years back, it was not prevalant, neither was the ground ivy.

• TheDogsBalls
    18 years ago

This heat has been giving me fits as far as my tomatoes and pollination...I taken to shaking them and trying to do it manually...that god it is going to be a little cooler in a few nights....although I gotta say that with all this rain ,I haven't had to water at all in a few weeks and I know with all the drenching rains 2+ inches...i have nice deep root systems.... :)

• gardenguy_
    18 years ago

This heat is great! It gets the honeybees out and about! Also, it's too bad that when we wake up on Christmas morning that we can't have this. :(

• witsend22
    18 years ago

I went by the plant wholeseller yesterday to say hey and decided to replace a rose that died from winter kill and also picked up another clematis so I have to go out and do some digging today. This is gonna hurt. guess I'd best get things ready before I head out..... lets see several gallons of ice water check,

• Kathy46
    18 years ago

I hope everyone in the Philly area are heeding the warnings and staying cool/ drinking fluids(beer doesn't count darn !) This is dangerous weather.

Kathy

• chescobob
    18 years ago

I took the last 2 days off. With the great weather coming over the next several days, I decided things can wait until then. Tomorrow, I move 15 cubic yards of soil and then do some planting.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?