Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these bugs killing my corn and zucchini?

Posted by TheDogsBalls Z7 FISHTOWN PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 05 at 14:29

Noticed I had a few wilted plants over the last few days that were in the case of the corn,..rotted at the stalk and mushy, and same thing on a section of one zuc plants....tore them out and did an autopsy and i found 1/4 inch translucent termite looking bugs inside the stalk/roothead....what are these things? And what can i do about them....I am alarmed as they have alreayd gotten 10 corn plants and probably killed that zuc.

Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these bugs killing my corn and zucchini?

Sorry to say it sounds like squash vine borers. I stopped growing zucchini because of them. I didn't know they attacked corn, too.

Some people recommend cutting open the vine and removing the worm, but I didn't want to go that route. I figured if the worm was already there, the damage was probably done. Maybe they would have better suggestions for you on the Veggie Forum.

o

Next year, when you plant your zucchini seeds or plants, sprinkle garlic powder on the soil. This hint was given to me years ago and it's always worked. I'm sorry about this year's crop!

o

The thing is they dont look like SVB's to me....I've spent the better part of the last 2 days out there looking and have not seen any of those evil looking moths....and when I cut open the stalk, what I see does NOT look like a grub, it looks more like a translucent termite or ant-type larvae...1/4 of an inch long..and any bad spots are brown mushy areas , with a tan/brown mushy looking excrement near them...i also have tons of ants in the garden, and all around the corn stalks...plus I never heard of SVB's attacking corn either...and these are definitely them same critters, as the autopsy proved.. Does anyone have any $%^&^$##-ing idea what the hell is going on?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here