Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confederate jasmine

Posted by lilyfinch (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 14:31

Hello! I purchased 2 jasmine plants from homedepot the tag said it would be hardy to 10f , and it would grow up to 20 ft tall. I have had it for a few months in a sunny location , and it hasnt grown a bit! also no blooms either, tho it looks healthy otherwise. Im wondering if it really is hardy here, as i keep reading that it is better in the south. Has anyone been growing this in their yard with sucsess? I will replace it if i am just wasting a good garden spot , though it would be amazing if it would take! thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confederate jasmine

If you're talking about Gelsemium sempervirens, they are proving their hardiness here. They're native down south. Mine has been growing successfully through the past 3 winters with a southerly exposure, full sun. Remember, first year sleep, 2nd year creep, 3rd year leap. I'll post a picture of mine tommorrow, I'm away from my pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: is this it?

o

Thanks paula!!! I cant wait to see a picture. I have them situated on a chainlinlk fence near my new roses and ornamental grasses. I hope to have a very fragrant area then in a few years!

o

Lilyfinch...these tags are indicative of what is "not as good as it should be" in our nation..
The purpose of the tag is to sell the product, using sales hype..What is not said is that plants need time to establish themselves.
Transplanting is very hard on many plants, sometimes the poor plant will not survive, other times it will sit and barely survive...for a time.
Places like Home Depot,Lowes, Walmart use this hype exclusively..
For the truth, find a good nursery..
Good luck...

o

Here it is

But, common names - being confusing, and should be avoided, I googled Confederate Jasmine, which I think you may mean Trachelospermum jasminoides - I planted one this spring, across the path from the Gelsemium, so time will tell on that one.

Here is a link that might be useful: this?

o

Hi, Paula,
What is the beautiful blue flower at the base of your
Gelsemium?
Thanks.

o

Myosotis sylvatica...forget me nots - they seed in , a lot. I pull up and compost bucket loads.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

earthworm- i am just learning how valuable a neighborhood nursery can be! I am only going to purchase perennials im familiar worth at the big box stores, but truthfully it is so wonderful to go to a nursery where my questions are answered with a smile and the selection is incredible!
Paula- your picture is amazing! I think you are right, i have one with tiny white flowers . I am just going to let it be and see what happens!

o

I have a plant that had been in about 10 years before I figured out what to do with it. This past year I "attacked" it and it grew amazingly & up rather than out. But, it has never blossomed. It gets things that look like they should but then don't. It's has a southern exposure and the plant itself seems to be very healthy. Any suggestions? Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here