Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Last Year Was Just a Warmup

Posted by chescobob z6b SEPA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 1, 06 at 15:40

I never thought I would see devil beetles like I did last year but this year they came earlier here and they seem to be as bad or worse.

I clipped off all the blooms on my roses. I left some buds and now the buds look like harryshoes' photos. I am spraying a new Kwanzan cherry with water until this evening when I will apply Sevin. The devils are defoliating it. The sparrows and other birds just cannot keep up with them. They are also on my Crape Myrtles.

The worst part is that this is just the beginning. When they start trying to eat the house, I am moving.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Last Year Was Just a Warmup

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 3, 06 at 15:35

You are definitely making me less enthusiastic about moving to PA! Yikes! Makes all my pest stories pale in comparison.

Janet's Garden

o

I was thinking the same thing today. They are everywhere! I've never seen anything like it!

o

I think it is hopeless for me. I have woods behind me and farmland all around. I put enough grub killer on my lawn to finish off Godzilla but the devil beetles keep coming.

For the last few days, I was getting bumped into constantly by these flying tanks. Tonight, I caught some buds in between my gloves and rubbed. That finished off about 10 at a time.

I noticed yesterday that they also are swallowing my weeping peach tree.

o

Today, I noticed the devil beetles were eating needles on a dwarf blue spruce and my spiraeas. I sprayed my cherry and weeping pear tree with Sevin today. I hate that stuff but it is the only way to give them a break. They both are taking a good deal of punishment from the devil beetles.

o

I have out 4 beetle bags and have filled 3 thus far. Traps attracting beetles to gardnes is hogwash. On a light season, maybe. But when you look out your window and can acutally SEE your lawn moving, you know you're done for. They're here, beetle bags or not. I had to buy a fly whisk (riding crop with a horse tail) to ride with becuase the horses kick them up and they ping off of your body as you ride by. I dusted my roses with Sevin and so far they have survived. I even used grub killer on the lawn this year. No luck. Curse the neighbors who didn't! :P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here