Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Tomato Varieties For Pittsburgh

Posted by daryll40 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 16:26

I am fairly new to gardening and have had decent luck by trial and error. I just found this forum and am thinking ahead to next year. Can someone suggest a few varieties that grow well here in Pittsburgh. One thing that I seem to have figured out is that even if May turns out to be frost free, the plants grow with no fruit. So you get top heavy plants. I think I'll wait until Memorial Day in future years. What are the easiest tomatos to grow here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Tomato Varieties For Pittsburgh

There is a good variety of tomato's that will grow in this area: Beefsteak, Brandywine, Super Italian Paste, Sungold,
Yellow Pear, Sweet 100 Hybrid, Better Boy, Lemon Boy, Celebrity, Roma, even Tomatilla's grow great in this region. There are more I'm sure, those are the ones off the top of my head! Hope this helps :)

Janice

o
RE: Good Tomato Varieties For Pittsburgh

Even here in Bucks Co. many don't put out their plants until after Memorial day and even though mine went out a couple of weeks before that,ours are the same size. I would expect you can pretty much grow any tomato you want to in Pittsburg if you wait until the 31st to put them out. I love Green Zebras,many which Janice recommended,plus Celebrity..heck,any of them. But you HAVE to grow Sungold. They're like candy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here