Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daryll40

Good Tomato Varieties For Pittsburgh

daryll40
18 years ago

I am fairly new to gardening and have had decent luck by trial and error. I just found this forum and am thinking ahead to next year. Can someone suggest a few varieties that grow well here in Pittsburgh. One thing that I seem to have figured out is that even if May turns out to be frost free, the plants grow with no fruit. So you get top heavy plants. I think I'll wait until Memorial Day in future years. What are the easiest tomatos to grow here?

Comments (2)

• Nur_Misur
    18 years ago

There is a good variety of tomato's that will grow in this area: Beefsteak, Brandywine, Super Italian Paste, Sungold,
    Yellow Pear, Sweet 100 Hybrid, Better Boy, Lemon Boy, Celebrity, Roma, even Tomatilla's grow great in this region. There are more I'm sure, those are the ones off the top of my head! Hope this helps :)

Janice

• mwoods
    18 years ago

Even here in Bucks Co. many don't put out their plants until after Memorial day and even though mine went out a couple of weeks before that,ours are the same size. I would expect you can pretty much grow any tomato you want to in Pittsburg if you wait until the 31st to put them out. I love Green Zebras,many which Janice recommended,plus Celebrity..heck,any of them. But you HAVE to grow Sungold. They're like candy.

Sponsored