Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to start a shady bed?

Posted by emiceekayeewhy Twilight (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 05 at 16:28

Hi. For the first time in 20 years I have more than two weeks off in a row. My last job was eliminated and the next doesn't start until after Labor Day. Hallelujah.

I have always wanted to have a shade garden on the side of my house but never had time to get it together. Is it too late to start? I live just outside of Philadelphia -- in Lower Merion for those of you who know the area. Should I just prepare the bed and wait until next spring to plant or can I plant now?

Thanks.

Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to start a shady bed?

You could plants beets,turnips,broccoli, early peas,or lettuces..and have plenty of time...

o

How wonderful to finally have some time off and be able to work on a garden. You can plant perennials now and even impatiens and other shade loving annuals if you put in the plants.It's too late for seeds. You'll just have to make sure you keep the ground moist. Your favorite nursery should have hostas and many other shade plants. Have fun. One thing though,don't fertilize them. You don't want a rapid spurt of growth now. Just let them get used to the soil and take hold and fertilize them next year.

o

Oh thank you! My next big decision is whether or not to dig up some healthy but mis-shapen rhodos to make way for the bed.

I think I'll just work on it slowly, as time allows. I bought some landscaping software but haven't tried it yet.

I hope to try some new things. I am already loaded with hostas, so I'll limit those.

o

I would go ahead and prep the bed area but would go light on the actual plantings. Get a few plants in to be enjoyed now and as fall aproaches add plants that need to go in during the fall to have all winter to establish a healthy root system.

o

I think that's what I'll do. Thanks.

o

I don't know if I'm too late, but the one thing that came to mind was that most nurseries have great discounts and sales this time of year on their perennials. Unusual shade plants such as bugbane and kirengeshoma palmata may still be around ( I saw some bugbane today at Waterloo Exton), and you may be able to pick up a few, usually more pricy plants for less money by the end of summer. Because the shade plants are usually kept in the shade, they tend to look OK come the end of the season. If you have a protected spot, plant early enough, and mulch well you can have success with planting before next Spring. Don't forget to plan for some bulbs- Trillium and Autumn Crocus add some interest. Whatever you decide, have fun! I have a fairly large shade garden and have enjoyed the experience very much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here