Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heat Tolerant plants

Posted by woodswalker88 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 17:06

Hi! I'm a new gardener, just started last year. I guess I picked the wrong time because the heat is really really bad for plants! We had rain at the end of june so I wouldn't really call it a drought...but the 100 degree temps are making certain plants just shrivel up & turn brown. "Mulching" is really not enough...maybe if I stuck an umbrella over these plants? A mini-fridge? Nahh...I don't think so, because I plant the garden & not the other way round. I'm not wasting time coddling high-maintenance plants...whatever doesn't make it, I will just plant something else in the spot next year!

I would like to hear from others about which plants have tolerated the heat and which ones haven't. As for me, my Encore Azalea (which is supposed to tolerate sun as well as shade) doesn't look as if it will make it. (The spot is sunny now, but I'm hoping it will be shady when the nearby tree grows more.)

I also see that the viburnums are turning brown around the edges. I thought native plants were more hardy?? Hydrangea is also looking pathetic. Several weeks ago I planted an astilbe in a shady spot, and even that was starting to crisp up. The coneflowers (planted about 6 wks ago) are just about hopeless.

I planted some blazing stars and these guys are gorgeous, just like the picture, and they show no signs of wilting. So far the Rose of Sharon and the crepe myrtle are hanging in there.

I wish plants had a heat rating as well as a cold rating.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heat Tolerant plants

Hi Woodswalker, my coneflowers and black-eyed susans are amazing this year; they must love this hot, dry summer. Perhaps yours needed a bit more than 6 weeks establish well - they'll probably look better next year. I put a thick layer of licorice root mulch on my sunny bed in the spring and no further maintenence. Like you, I believe in "survial of the fittest" gardening; if they can't make it on their own, they're outta here.

90% of my beds are shade or part-shade and my hosta, hellebore, european ginger, variegated solomon's seal and epimedium are taking the heat and lack of rain pretty well. Most of my ferns, ligularia, astilbe, lamium and brunnera are crispy critters though.

Other sun or part-sun lovers that are holding up well: thread-leaf ansomnia, meadow rue, heurchera and sedum, especially the smaller, ground-hugging types.

My perennial geraniums, with the exception of 'Rozanne' (love this one!) are toast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here