Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebc_gw

no butterflies this summer

rebc
14 years ago

Hi,

Has anyone noticed that there are no butterflies around this summer? I live in NW Chester county and thought it was just my area, but I was at Longwood today, and if there's one place where there should be tons of butterflies, it's Longwood. We only saw 2 lonely cabbage whites and that was it. What gives? Does anyone know?

Comments (56)

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

They are spraying for mosquitoes in various parts of the county.

" Permanone RTU is made using the chemical permethrin, which the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regards as generally safe for humans but highly toxic to fish and other aquatic life. The neurotoxin can also kill other insects. "

I believe that our efforts to save butterfies, bees, and other beneficial insects will be for naught eventually.

I'm personally sick and tired of human's attitude "one is more important than the many". There is a small risk out there for West Nile that does not mandate spraying, at the expense of biodiversity IMHO.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

This was a topic a year ago

Here is a link that might be useful: butterflies in decline

• jillby49
    14 years ago

We have plenty of hummers, but very few butterflies here in Fayette county.

• pinwheel
    14 years ago

I saw a couple of skippers yesterday, and a black swallowtail today.

• ninamora
    14 years ago

I have seen a few Monarch here in Lancaster county.
    But few others. I did leave one milkweed in the garden, and I do have monarch babies on it.
    Nina

• nhlivefreeordie
    14 years ago

Monarchs showed here this past weekend, many Tiger Swallowtails as well.

• ladyslppr
    14 years ago

If you are in an area that was sprayed for gypsy moths, that could have a very large impact on butterflies, since the pesticide (Bt) they use for Gypsys is lethal to all moth and butterfly caterpillars. i am not sure how many areas actually were treated this spring, since the weather was too rainy in some areas during the time of the spraying. There seem to be a fair number of butterflies here in Centre County.

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

I found one monarch cat. on the wild Asclepias incarnata that grows along my road. I brought it inside for raising. It just eclosed today. (Is that the correct term - for turning to coccoon?) I bring in all the cats. I find to raise inside in my containers. If anyone wants to know my system, which is very easy (and fun!) let me know.

• nhlivefreeordie
    14 years ago

Centre County certainly did get sprayed, I saw the chopper land on PSU grounds for refilling and saw the planes over State College, Bellefonte, and Pleasant Gap while out picking Morels. Still though, your right, there seem to be plenty of butterflies throughout Centre and Mifflin counties.

• nhlivefreeordie
    14 years ago

Saw more Tiger Swallowtails today, do you think maybe the cool nights we have been having so far this year delayed them?

• valeriepa
    14 years ago

Have seen very few, less than 10, this summer. Tons of lightening bugs and a few hummingbirds.

• pinwheel
    14 years ago

I'm surprised that they are spraying for gypsy moths after such a long and cold winter. It's my impression that gypsy moths don't survive colder winters.

• nhlivefreeordie
    14 years ago

Gypsy moths actually cycle, (like most things in nature ) about 14 years between peaks, they slowly build for 7 years, and then the population crashes or slowly decreases, then it starts all over. Some areas around State College were pretty much defoliated last year, a few years in a row of that, and the trees become stressed and usually acquire some kind of disease and die. I have seen it so bad in some places that after they defoliate the deciduous trees they start feeding on pine needles!!

• rebc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've been on vacation this week and have been reading everyone's posts but haven't been able to respond. I went to the Nature Conservancy's Migratory Bird Refuge in Cape May and I asked the naturalist about the butterflies. She said that the monarchs, at least, haven't left Mexico yet which explains why we're not seeing them. She suggested that maybe since it's been such a cool year, relatively speaking, that it's thrown off the cycles of various species and that they've definitely seen some aberrations with birds in the Refuge. I think I'll contact the Horticultural Society and see if they can shed any light on this. Thanks for everyone's responses.

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

I find the statement about not leaving Mexico yet hard to believe. How would it explain the caterpillar I found last week, and I do have some Monarchs flying around the yard now.

• kr222
    14 years ago

It wasn't until this week that I started to see more than a few butterflies. It's really bothersome. Last year we had tons on my 5 butterfly bushes. Maybe it's because of the extremely heavy rains we had this past Spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Pennsylvania Garden

• rebc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think it would be helpful for this thread if you could put where you live. For the people who do have butterflies, I'd be interested to know where you are.

Thanks!
    Rebecca

• kr222
    14 years ago

That's a great idea Rebecca. I'm from Reading, Pennsylvania. We didn't have many butterflies until this week. Still, it's not as many as we had last year. The bees seem to be doing well though.
    Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Pennsylvania Garden

• rebc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey kr, I live really close to you. We're in NW Chester County just south of Morgantown. We used to live in Shillington and my husband still works in Wyomissing. Small world! I loved your blog, btw.

• nhlivefreeordie
    14 years ago

We have plenty of butterflies, and since last weekend, it is about the same as last year, Mifflin County, near State College.

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

I'm right in the middle of Chester county. I found 3 more Monarch cats yesterday.

• kr222
    14 years ago

Rebecca,
    A small world it is. I used to work in Morgantown and my in-laws are in Chester County! It's great to hear from someone that lives so close.
    Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's PA garden

• kr222
    14 years ago

Paula,
    It's great to hear that you found some cats recently. You're pretty close to Reading, PA as well. That's encouraging news!
    Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

• Lauren Devonshire
    14 years ago

Have seen only two small white butterflies. One Jap beetle,some tiny bees(?), a bumblebee here in my Carlisle yard. Unreal.I have planted plants that should be coved by now with the little daring creatures. Last summer very different.

• rebc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My dad, who lives next door, sent an email to a woman who had been featured in the Philadelphia Inquirer for her echinacea. Below is his email and her response:

Dad's email:
    Thank you for the very informative article of July 10th in the Philadelphia Inquirer.

My daughter and I live in adjoining houses in Chester County, PA. We both have fairly large gardens and share some plants.We both have noticed, with much concern, the lack of Butterflies in both gardens this year.Not only a lack, but a non-appearance, of Butterflies of any variety.Although we both grow those plants that normally serve as an attraction, we have seen none.That goes for Hummingbirds as well. Could you tell me if this an occurrence in your garden as well? We are both concerned, hoping that this is not some sort of trend developing.

Thank you for your attention to this serious matter.

Her answer:

HI Harold--this is very strange. I live in Philadelphia with quite a large garden, and I have lots of bees and a few hummingbirds, as usual. So I asked our environmental writer, Sandy Bauers, who lives in Chester County and has several acres. Her experience has been the same.

I have no idea what could be happening in your gardens in Glenmoore but I share your worry.

One thing I wondered. Have you had a lot of new development in your area? Destruction of habitat is about the only reason I can think of (besides a terrible disease) that would translate into fewer butterflies. If they lost host plants, places to lay eggs and get nectar, theyâÂÂd go elsewhere. Still, if you and your daughter have large gardens, presumably the butterflies would find you.

Ginny

I emailed the PA horticultural society today and asked them. If I don't get a response, I'm going to call the Penn State Cooperative Extension and see what they have to say.

• kr222
    14 years ago

Good work Rebecca. There has to be something serious going on, because the problem appears to be so widespread. A lot of us probably have host plants in our gardens and a bunch of nectar plants, and they still remain inactive. Scary.
    Kim

• gazania_gw
    14 years ago

I have not seen any Monarchs this year, even though I am out in my yard several times a day and actively looking for them. However, there has to have been at least one that I missed. Last evening, I was very surprised to find 5 cats (one in it's 'J' attached to a basement window frame) on my Asclepias. Can't imagine how I missed that butterfly.

• sue_gardens
    14 years ago

I live 15 minutes north of Pittsburgh and it has been an unusual year for the animals in my yard. I too have been experiencing the lack of butterflies in my yard. I have numerous butterfly gardens as well as other types of gardens. Just this week I have seen several monarchs and swallowtails, but the numbers are still low. I do have bees, but even those numbers don't seem to be as high as in the past. We are having such a wet summer and the temperatures are averaging below normal. I am thinking this is part of the reason for the lack of butterflies.

• nhlivefreeordie
    14 years ago

"We are having such a wet summer and the temperatures are averaging below normal."

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner...exactly, ...BELOW average temps, and wet weather, they were slow to start here, everything seems normal now, maybe the expansion of my gardens has taken all of your butterflies?.....Nah...be patient, nature has a way of dealing with these things.

• rebc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My dad was at Tyler Arboretum on Thursday and the woman who runs the butterfly house there confirmed that the wet weather was probably the cause of the lack of butterflies. She said that the eggs couldn't hatch and that the rain was washing a lot of the nectar off the flowers. She said that even in the butterfly house the population is down.

We now have a few swallowtails and painted ladies in my garden on the buddleia but still haven't seen any monarchs.

• Cathy_in_PA
    14 years ago

I'm north of Pittsburgh too, and I had also noticed a particular decline of monarchs and butterflies in general this season until the last couple of days. I've raised monarchs for several years in my own garden and because of the zero activity, last month I went on an active search to several gardens around the area: zero monarch eggs/sightings. Just this past weekend (whatever day that was somewhat sunny), however, one monarch was observed laying eggs (ovipositing) on my asclepias incarnata, which, as an aside, is covered with some leaf spot. When I went to our local school's native garden this weekend in between the rain, the butterfly bushes were covered with monarchs, swallowtails and fritillaries. One monarch cat was also found molting.

Been a crazy summer. Downside -- few butterflies, and I'm pulling out tomato plants due to late blight. Plus -- I've learned to enjoy the bees more and has been a great season for seeding grass:)

Good luck to everyone!

Cathy in SWPA

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

The world is changing, of course things are not going to continue the same way forever. Sprawl, loss of habitat, pesticide use are contributing.

Summer seems to be getting started later each year, at least to me. Like it's shifted - starting later, and ending later...we've been having warm autumns for years, and winter cold is delayed, until mid December. Years ago, the seventies, I remember Novembers where it got so cold it snowed, construction halted.

• CarolnWbg
    14 years ago

I'm seeing no butterflies in Greene County. My zinnias are usually covered and the combination makes the greatest photos. Butterfly bush is just getting ready to bloom so I'm still hopeful.

Carol

• neverenoughflowers
    14 years ago

Hi everyone, this is my first post, as I have been lurking for a while. I live in West Bradford Twp in Chester County and also have noticed a dramatic decline in butterflies and hummers. I have all the plants they love and saw the first butterfly today on my Joe Pye Weed. I have been accepted into the Penn State Master Gardeners Program and classes start on Aug 19. I will ask the instructors from the Extension office what their experience is and will report back.

• annld
    14 years ago

I hadn't thought about it, but I haven't seen any butterflies in my area (Montgomery County) either. I'm sure the wet weather/low temps theory is correct. That makes sense. But my butterfly bush is lonely. :-(

• Cathy_in_PA
    14 years ago

Update: Well, the monarchs must have read my post. Several in the garden laying eggs. Swallowtails on butterfly bushes!

I'm sending them your way, Carol and annld. As an aside, Carol, I love zinnias and sincerely wish I could grow them. Share your pictures when you get a chance.

Neverenoughflowers, I'll be anxious to hear how you enjoy your classes!

Enjoy the rest of the season, everyone.

Cathy in SWPA

• ninamora
    14 years ago

Lancaster county...several butterflies today. three monarch all together. and two other species, don't know my buttterflies, but, I was sure happy to see them.
    The grasshoppers are here too. found one munching on my daylilies.
    Nina

• angelbuff
    14 years ago

I live in northumberland co. I too, have noticed a dramatic decrease in butterflies this summer. there are lots of bees. my flower garden is beautiful..but oh how i miss those butterflies!

• CarolnWbg
    14 years ago

WOO HOO!! Saw my first butterfly today! It was hanging around my butterfly bush that has finally decided to bloom. Will be looking for more!

Carol

• geoforce
    14 years ago

Lots of butterflies his last week or so. Mostly various swallowtails and frits, no monarchs yet.

George

• annld
    14 years ago

I've been seeing my usual swallowtails and monarchs again lately. Whew! So beautiful!

{{gwi:1110925}}

{{gwi:1110926}}

• stimpy926
    14 years ago

I've hatched 4 or 5 monarch boys so far, have another 6 munching on milkweed inside in my containers. This is the time of summer when their numbers are better, but I still think their overall numbers are declining each year.

• rebc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can't believe I forgot to do this earlier. Last week the Phila. Inquirer published an article about this butterfly issue written by their garden reporter, Virginia Smith. She came out and interviewed my dad and myself because of the email he had sent earlier this summer (see earlier in the thread for email content.) Unfortunately this link will expire on Wednesday because the Inquirer only keeps them up for 7 days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly article in Philly Inquirer

• kr222
    14 years ago

Butterflies are finally arriving around here. Now that the weather has warmed up and dried out. I finally have the chance to take some pictures of them and watch them dance across the backyard. Still no signs of cats though on the parsley, fennel, or asclepias. My fingers are still crossed...

• jeaninpgh
    13 years ago

i also live in pgh pa and today my son caught the only monarch ive seen all year and i plant a butterfly garden to i moved this year so my new butterfly bush hasnt bloomed yet..
    i made him release it ( and dealt w a screaming fit because i took his prize) but i have noticed a severe lack of butterflies also so didnt want him harming the only one ive seen all season...
    i blamed it on moving and planting new plants because i lost all of my swamp milkweeds and various other butterfly plants, and had only replanted a few new ones that are jsut getting a bloom or two now,but my husband said him and his friend both have heard local news reports commenting on where have all of our butterflies gone so it must not be just our yard..

ive only seen one or 2 black swallowtails butterflys also and usually this area is full of them and only 2 yellow and black ones too.
    also areas that were full of grasshoppers last yr this season have none and there are barely any honeybees to pollinate my plants.the lightning bugs have also disappeared suddenly too when last year we had hundreds...
    i believe its an environmental connection.

• stimpy926
    13 years ago

Although we have more monarch cats in the yard than last year (yay), I would bet that the mosquito spraying for West Nile Virus plays an overall role in their decline, as well as other insects. What they use is not selective, and kills all insects besides mosquitos. Also, the latest talk on the honeybee shortage is that the systemic insecticides are probably killing them off, either directly, or making them weaker, and susceptible to virus and pests, mites, etc.

Off topic a tad -

I have not had any japanese beetles in the yard for 3 years, and while I'm not complainin' mind ya, the stink bugs are quickly taking their place as a damn nuisance. They're chewing and leaving holes in my tomatoes and peppers, hanging all over the screen doors, waiting to fly into the house. I know I'll be finding them in the house all winter.

• semaje
    13 years ago

plenty here is bucks county!

• rebc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'd just like to point out that I posted this last summer, of 2009 because there really were very few butterflies in my garden at the time. There are many more this summer so it's not really relevant anymore.

Thanks.

• neilby
    13 years ago

Come to think of it, you are correct. I live in suburban Philadelphia, Pa. and I actually cannot recall seeing a single one this spring and summer.

• lizelle
    13 years ago

I have a feeling that 2010 might have been a record year for butterflies! Tons around Springton Manor at least.

Sponsored
Your Source for Tailored Remodeling Solutions in Loudoun County