Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiecola_gw

moving perennials in the summer

maggiecola
17 years ago

I know it's preferable to move and/or divide perennials in the spring and fall, but I was wondering if I could move some during the summer months without too much shock. I've already done all my dividing for the year in the spring. I'm just wanting to move some things around. It's not too hot right now in SWPA.

Do you think some of my Becky Shasta's can handle being moved while blooming? I moved some purple cornflowers a few days ago without their minding at all.

Also, I have some Commelina that just popped up this year. I like it's invasive tendancies for another area of my yard. I'd like to move that right now because I fear that it's going to overtake a rose bush I have that's 10 feet in diameter. I won't be able to weed under. Will the Commelina survive if I move it, or should I just pull it out entirely?

Comments (6)

• peaches20
    17 years ago

I'm going to do the same thing myself. In fact starting tonight I'm going to move a kaniopa (sp?) that plant that gets tall spikes and at the tip are yellow and orange. Can't think of the proper spelling right now. I'm also going to move a large transdensia. Both are going further back in my garden to make more room. I'm going to bring some smaller plants further to the front. I figure they've already bloomed so I'm going to give it a go. I'm going to make sure I water every day till the next good rain.

• maggiecola
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I moved quite a few Becky Shasta's last night. They're in full bloom. 1/2 of them appear to not mind one bit. The other 1/2 of them are slightly mad at me. They have a little drooping in the leaves but the stalks are sturdy and straight. I'll check them daily and keep watering them.

I think the main problem with moving the Becky Shastas was because they're so large and tall. They really have a hard time holding themselves together with all that height as soon as I pulled them from the ground. But most of them became study again as soon as I got dirt back around the roots.

So my advice to you if you're moving big things is to bundle them up (use pantyhose instead of rope) before you dig them up. This way it will keep the stalks from falling all over the place.

The cornflower is still completely unfaized. It was in full bloom when I moved it too.

I have some other things that I'd like to move that have already bloomed but I'm not as sure about their sturdiness. I knew the becky and the cornflower were study plants---that's why I gave them a shot. Maybe I'll get more daring. I really don't care if the becky's don't look great this year (it would be nice though)--I just don't want to lose them entirely.

• peaches20
    17 years ago

Just came in from moving some plants around. It was hard to dig but I managed until my back gave out on me. Had to move some flocks to make room for the kniphofia to the back of the garden. Don't know why I planted it in the front and flocks in back. Couldn't even see the flocks. Then i moved some foxglove to the front and moved my transdencia to the back cause it got real big. I tied that up first.

If you close to the monroeville area Johnston the florist on monroeville boulevard has a bunch of perennials in about 3" pots for $1.99 and buy 10 and get two free. I got more delphinium, white coneflower cause i only have purple, veronica, campanula and a few other things i can't remember right off. Have to still plant them but plants still look in good shape.

Peaches

• maggiecola
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the tip! I might head out there later in the week. I need to start a new bed I've been planning first. Lots of bigger plants need moved into it because they're over powering my other bed. I already picked up the peat moss and compost. Now I just have to dig it out. But I also lucked out and got some flagstone for free so I want to do a flagstone walkway along side of my house this too. Hopefully we don't have a hot summer so I can get that done! LOL

Although not a bargain, I found some fabulous plants at Glenshaw Feed on Butler Plank Road (off route 8 in Shaler). They're $8 but completely full grown plants--very healthy. I've discovered throughout the years that it's nice to sometimes get mature ones so I can be divisions within a year or two.

My friend just gave me two huge clumps of purple iris--ready to divide. You're welcome to one of the clumps if you'd like. There's probably 20 bulbs in each clump. I don't need that many. I have no idea what they look like though--she said they were purple with brown stripes? Sounds sort of scary. I figured they'll still be nice for foilage variation even if I end up not liking the flower itself when it blooms. I also have a lot of myrtle I just pulled up that I'm not going to use.

This fall I'm dividing two HUGE hostas--one is solid green and the other is green/white. I'm also dividing my purple bearded iris---the pretty ones--this fall.

• dirtdiva
    17 years ago

It's rained so much that I have been planting and moving things this summer as well. Everything is doing fine, but I really think it's because of the rain we have had. Just depends on the conditions and method in which you move them. They need a lot more attention if you do it in the middle of the summer. Cheers!

• maggiecola
    Original Author
    17 years ago

In addition to the rain, I think it also has to do with the fact it's not very hot this year......yet. Usually it's sweltering by now. I'm so glad it's not hot and humid. I'd love to have weather like this all summer long!

My cornflower I moved looked unhappy last night so I watered the garden. Today it's bounced back but my newly planted black eyed susan (from the nursery) is now mad at me! I'm not sure if it needed more water last night---or if last night's watering was too much water for it.

You're right--they just need lots of attention when you move them in the summer. Now that I've got MOST of what I planned to move, moved, I'm going to focus on my new bed I'm creating so it's all ready for transplanting in the fall. The only problem is, once I get it ready, I'll want to start moving stuff into it! LOL We might be getting away with this right now--in July--but I doubt we'll be able to do it in August and early September because it's usually way way too hot.