Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koke_gw

Pink Spirea help needed

koke
18 years ago

I have a pink spirea that is getting very large so I'd like to move it to another spot in the garden.I have it in morning shade and then afternoon sun,it doesn't really get too much sun and this year,the flowers were very sparse.Does it need more sun?Thanks......Koke

Comments (8)

• annld
    18 years ago

I have two spireas that are trying to take over the world. They're in very sunny spots, so I'm thinking that's what they like. They're really thriving and with no real effort on my part!

Ann

• mwoods
    18 years ago

I have 3 and all are very large and in full sun. It sounds as if that's what they like the best.

• chescobob
    18 years ago

Yes, place them in full sun. These are tough plants. I have 4 types: 2 Magic Carpet, 2 Little Princess, 2 Neon Flash, and 1 Goldmound. You have to keep an eye on them because they will get big.

Here is an article about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson on Spireas

• geoforce
    18 years ago

I also have a couple of spirea 'Little Princess' which I feel definitely do not understand their own name. They are trying to take over the whole garden. One of them has self layered at least 4 plants in various directions around and now covers an area about 7 foot across. Next spring I will dig them all out as I have homes assigned for most in friends' gardens and will replant just one of the layered ones to get back to a reasonable size. and recover some space for other things in that bed.

George

• dirtdiva
    18 years ago

I have three spirea's that bloom pink (not sure of the name). After the first flush, I trim the bush and get another full bloom.

• koke
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My"Little Princess" will be moved to full sun. Then,we will see how she does,hopefully,with a lot of blooms.I have a spot picked out for her with plenty of room for growth,which, I understand will happen. Thanks ches. for the link.......Koke

• swson
    17 years ago

I read this morning that pink spirea (Spirea Japonica) is on the invasive list. It sure sounds like it is from the letters above. Maybe not all pinks are. I'd like to know before I dig mine up.

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

I've got spireas with lime-green foliage and pink flowers.

They were planted in full sun but are now mostly shaded by a growing tree. Still getting some late afternoon direct sun. They're tolerating the shade fine, although with fewer flowers and less rebloom.

Size hasn't been a problem, I cut them back pretty heavily each year, keeps them neat and compact.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES