Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annld

How to maintain tulips?

annld
17 years ago

I planted about 100 new tulip bulbs last fall because my two-year-old tulips really didn't put on much of a show last year. This year, the new ones were gorgeous. Does anyone have any tips on how to get them to come back as strong next year?

Thanks...

Ann

Comments (13)

• maggiecola
    17 years ago

From what I understand, tulips are really only "good" for one year. The following years they come in shorter and more sparse. They also can change color. Most people dig up their tulip bulbs after they bloom and throw them away. And then they replace with new bulbs in the fall.

If I grew tulips, I'd not throw them away but move them to another area in my yard where I could just let them do their thing in a naturalized type setting--and replace the showy area with new bulbs.

Sorry to break the news to you.

• maggiecola
    17 years ago

I quickly found a link that explains why tulips need replaced every year. It also claims that a certain type of tulip (species tulips) will bloom year after year and may even multiply like other bulbs.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_bulbs_seeds/article/0,,HGTV_3553_1391951,00.html

So I guess the answer to your question is to try to find a species tulip instead of a hybrid when you buy new bulbs this fall.

• dirtdiva
    17 years ago

I stopped planting hybrid tulips a couple of years ago. I would only get one or two seasons out of them. By the third year only a few of them would show up. I blamed it on the chipmunks. (I guess I was wrong). The species tulips I planted, gave me a good 5 years. They are beautiful. They hug the ground and were multiplying for me until this spring.....only a few showed up. So I ordered more species tulips for the fall.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    17 years ago

Ann, have you tried any of the Darwin hybrids? I have some that have been coming back for years without any attention.
    Not all species tulips are the same.... just because they grow wild in one part of the world doesn't mean they will do well in your garden.

and...... if you really want to have your tulips return strong every year: fertilize well, allow the leaves to die back on their own, dig the bulbs up when it does, save only the largest bulb of each clump, replant in the autumn.
    You can see why most people just leave them in and consider it a bonus when they reflower next year!

• annld
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. My tulips were absolutely glorious this year, so I was hoping there would be a way to keep them going. Maybe they'll just be average next year and then I'll replace them. :-)

• bobs2
    17 years ago

I never considered tulips as annuals until I started planting them in a soil that was heavy with clay. Tulips seem to need better drainage than some other bulbs such as daffodils. I've given up growing tulips on this property, though I have a very few hybrid tulips that have been blooming for over twenty years. I think of them as my token tulips, reminding me of what I might grow on the next property.

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

I've had good luck with Darwin tulips coming back every year. They were in a sheltered location with excellent drainage and no pests. Most types of tulips only live for one season, though, as other posters have said.

• karen_b
    17 years ago

Pray for cold winters. I planted oodles of tulips 3 years ago expecting them to fizzle out after a year or two. They are still going strong, better than my daffodils, but from what I understand they need a cold dormancy and we sure have had cold winters. I also remove the mulch to make sure the cold gets to them.

• maggiecola
    17 years ago

Karen, Yours might do well because you might have species tulips instead of hybrid tulips.

• blueheron
    17 years ago

I have good luck with the Darwin hybrids, too. Also, when planting, make sure they're 8-10" deep which helps to prevent them from splitting.

• janetr
    17 years ago

Tulips like good, fast drainage and very dry conditions during the summer. So they are not going to return very well in clay soil and/or in heavily watered flowerbeds. Plus the fact that the fancy hybrids have been bred for spectacular flowers, not for continued vigour. But the species and the Darwins do indeed have a better reputation for coming back.

Someday I hope to have a spot with suitable soil that I'll fill with tulips and drought-resistant annuals and perennials and I just won't water all summer. I can dream, can't I?

Janet's Garden

• dirtdiva
    17 years ago

Janet
    I just recently read (on the bulbs forum I think) that tulips like a very dry summer. My tulips were always planted in beds that were watered a lot with our sprinkler system. And to think that I thought it was good for the tulips.lol

• janetr
    17 years ago

Yeah, it was a bit of an eye-opener for me too when I first found out. Ya live and ya learn.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County