Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
another mystery

Posted by Naturenut_PA z6 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 05 at 21:51

every year there is always some kind of mystery for us to investigate here. here is this year's.

here's a picture taken last week of our front lawn. i could probably get a better picture sometime this week, even though the grass was mowed this weekend.

does anybody have any ideas what these green circles on the lawn could be? the grass isn't longer there, just greener (and i'm the one who mows the front, so i know it's all the same height). as you can see, there are 3 of these ranging in size from about 3' to 5' diameter. one of the circles surrounds a tree, the others don't surround anything.

i'm entertaining all kinds of wacky ideas (like maybe a deer got some of the digitalis or hellebore, and in a toxic stupor, peed while walking around in circles)...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another mystery

I was going to say deranged elves. Then I did a search and found "fairy rings."

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairy Rings

o

Maybe teh alienz have landed and are planning to haxzor your lawn? Seriously, I have no idea, first time I've seen that before.

o

There is definately something making more nitrogen available there. It could be those fairy rings already mentioned or even something as simple as a mole/vole digging around bringing up nutrient rich soil to the surface. I like going with the comment that link had about a good fertilizer added to the area to mask them.

there I said it without out a single comment about crop circles and alien invasions and.... oops

o

They're Baaaack! Those are most definitely the circles left by a minature space craft full of tiny space aliens. I'm assuming that once they landed they wrecked havoc elsewhere in your yard/garden which you'll probably stumble upon later. I bet they're hiding in those trees somewhere. Run for the hills.

o

thank you all for the information and hilarious posts!

i'm just gonna leave them be, so that if people see them and ask, i can say "oh, we've got fairy rings"

as far as crop circles and aliens...well, that would be okay, since alien spacecraft couldn't possibly do any more damage than the deer.

oh jeez, this is just too funny...last year's mystery was fairy lights out back (glow worms in the lawn).

fairy lights in the back yard, fairy rings in the front.
well, it all makes sense now LOL! oh, i can't stop laughing.

o

fairy rings AND fairy lights!
I would say you live in a magical place!
Any fairy dust!???

o

Nice front yard, naturenut! Looks very quiet and serene, and I like the wooded area across the street.

o

According to this site, once your rings hit each other they'll kill each other. You should lose at least two. Don't know about the third.

Here is a link that might be useful: From Superstition to Science

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here