Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
witsend22

Slow week in Pa

witsend22
18 years ago

I see we have very few postings this week on the site. It must be the heat. It sure isn't the rain here. It seems to cloud up each evening then we get a 2 minute sprinkle and its over. Even the corn in the farmers fields is showing the effects. Then to top it off here in Bedford county we have a water restriction in effect so I can't water.

My hanging plants and baskets are really feeling the water restriction. I have pulled some water up from the well for them but most times the grand kids are around so I won't even uncap it on those days.

How are everyones gardens fairing with this heat and lack of rain? Hopefully the veggies are still setting and the flowers are still blooming.

Comments (12)

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

Frankly, the garden has me on the ropes, and is beating me mercilessly. That's the problem with gardens. Others see the garden, and I see all the things that desperately need to be done.

If someone doesn't stake those tomatoes soon....

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

The strong storms we've had have knocked over my very tall Rudbeckia hirtas, swamp milkweed, and a lot of my Achillea. (well a rabbit had a lot to do with the Achillea being trampled LOL)

Other than that, everything looks great except the bee-balm foliage looks pretty bedraggled.

• Kathy46
    18 years ago

Right now all free time is spent in the garden. Everything is just glorious this year so far. Of course that will change tommorrow when "cindy" rolls through here.
    There just isn't enough time during growing season is there ?
    Kathy

• gazania_gw
    18 years ago

Now when so many things are coming into bloom, I can't get enough time in my yard among my 'babies' to satisfy me. I have 3 island beds that were put in late last summer and planted last fall and this spring. To date we (sweet, indulgent DH and I) have put in 138 plants and that doesn't count some divisions and transplants from other areas in the yard. Everything is coming along well and I, for the most part am a happy camper. The little part of me that is not happy has to do with the fierce battle I am wageing with the japanese beetles on just about everything, thrips on my newest day lillies, and a major rust outbreak in the front island bed.

Wolfe15136 has it right, those of us who own the garden see all the flaws. Those who just come to view it somehow overlook all that is not perfect. I go to my daughters gardens to see perfection and she comes to mine for her perfect picture.

• witsend22
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Awe perfection. Not sure any of us ever get our gardens or flower beds to that point.

Finally we have rain here. I stayed outside in the rain until dark pulling those weeds out. they were so tall especially in the rose garden where I fertilize heavier.

Why is it the heavy rains knock over our flowers but make the weeds stand up tall and salute like a soldier on a parade field?

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

I just got through my slow week.... now it's back into the garden!

I can't say mine is anything close to glorious, but a few things are looking somewhat presentable. The rain revived alot of plants and as far a staking goes, I'm very good at ignoring a floppy plant until it's too late!

Maybe next year I'll have something to rave about, right now I'm just enjoying the rain.

-and as far as weeds go, I'm going to give them another week so they are bigger and more rewarding to pull.
    Kato

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

I was inside, hiding from the heat. Every once in awhile I'd venture out to water whichever plant was suffering the most.

Finally we've got some rain today, the dry heat seems to have broken. I hope we get inches and inches.

My garden efforts at this time of year consist of weeding and mowing and drinking gin and tonics whilst admiring the blooms. Unfinished spring projects are now fall projects.

• Sally_D
    18 years ago

Well I have about completely switched my gardens over to roses - around 100, I am afraid to count but I must tell you I have NEVER enjoyed gardening so much. It is a lot of work but boy do they give back. Always something interesting going on and I always have a glass of roses at my sink. My roses are loving the rain and it gives me a chance to rest. They are a little like having a new born again. No time to rest.

• witsend22
    Original Author
    18 years ago

my roses seem to be doing better this year than last. But Mr Lincoln attacked me while I was weeding yesterday. I have little sore spots all over my arms. I've gone out and picked black berries in the thickest areas and had fewer wounds.

• gazania_gw
    18 years ago

So, today I bit the bullet and removed all the buds from the thrip infested daylillies. It very nearly killed me to do it, but I knew I had to. These lillies are 4 of the 7 I bought from a local grower late last summer. I was soooo anticipating seeing their flowers for the first time! I can see no evidence of thrips on the remaining 3, but I sprayed all of them with insecticidal soap. Geeze I hate using anything that will kill the good guys along with the bad guys. I did my best to put it only on the daylily leaves. There is so much stuff out there standing in the way of plants growing into perfect specimens. I think of it like going on a trip... 'half the fun is getting there'. I had to ask myself today, "Am I havin' fun yet?"

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

Did it sprinkle there the last few days????

• Sally_D
    18 years ago

Witsend - I can so relate. I now always look like I have viciously been attacked by cats. You got to love mother nature. She sure has a sense of humor.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert