Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunny43

Confused

sunny43
14 years ago

I am a little-no I am a whole lot confused. I am trying to find out what the temperature is in Ligonier, Pa. It shows to be in zone 6 with winter temps below -0.

I came across a chart that shows last year as well as this years temperature. By looking at that map Ligonier shows temperatures that are comfortable with zone 8.

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks

see link:

Here is a link that might be useful: weather

Comments (9)

• nhlivefreeordie
    14 years ago

Average temp, and day to day temps are hugely different things, as the average temp is divided by the total number of days. Ligonier is in zone 6 as are we here in Lewistown.

• sunny43
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How do I find out what the weather was like during the year of 2008?

• nhlivefreeordie
    14 years ago

2008 was a mild year, but we had plenty of cold below 20, and several days around zero.
    I imagine you could get actual weather data from PSU Meteorology Dept.

• seedling101
    14 years ago

Actually, Ligonier is a zone 5. I know, it looks like 6 but the local nursery will tell you to go with 5. Ligonier sits in a valley.

• sunny43
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow that is even worst. I had thought the valley would keep it warmer not colder. I guess that is what happens when you live in flat land like we do.

We are retired and are thinking of moving and this town looks just perfect, but we live in zone 9b so climate will play a part in the move. Our daughter is moving up there and we wanted to stay close to the g-kids.

We also hate the hot summers, fireants and mosquitoes here and would love to move where it stays cooler in the summers. It's the winter we are worried about.
    Does the link above to the weather averages look about right? I just don't know what zone 5 or 6 is like in the winter.
    Thank you.

• nhlivefreeordie
    14 years ago

After living in zone 3 most of my life, I can tell you that 5, 6, or 7 are about a perfect balance. it gets cold, but it doesn't last long, averages are manageable, can't imagine a zone 9 with all the bugs. Strangely enough, this area is totally devoid of mosquitoes, I have never lived anywhere else where they are not even a consideration, I think in 8 years here, I have been bitten exactly twice, and I am out in the woods, almost constantly. I have never been bitten in our yard, even though we have a trout stream that is one of our back yard boundries. We do have lots of bats :-)

• CarolnWbg
    14 years ago

Here is a link that gives information about Ligonier and surrounding Westmoreland County. If you click on the weather category waayyyy down the page you'll see a chart of a year's worth of weather in the area.
    The chart is for Rector, PA, directly south of Ligonier. This should give you a pretty good idea of local weather as well as other information about the area.
    Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Ligonier, PA

• sunny43
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The links and information are great. This will help me out. If I understand it the average low in the winter months is 20 degrees and can go down to 0 degrees. Nice fireplace and hot chocolate weather.
    It's hard to think of a life with no mosquitoes and fireants. Right now I have to tie a rope around my waist so when I go outside they don't haul me away.

• CarolnWbg
    14 years ago

You might run into an occasional mosquito in Ligonier but they won't be Texas size, I'm sure.

Sponsored