Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol23_gw

Anyone going to the HPS plant sale ?

carol23_gw
16 years ago

It looks like the sale this Saturday will offer a great variety of garden related items. Anyone else planning on attending?

Comments (14)

• loretta5_gw
    16 years ago

I plan to be there Carol. I try not to miss it. It's going to be a beautiful day weatherwise. I know I'll enjoy myself and come home with a more plants than I should. I'll just leave them out in front of the garage with the others and hope DH won't notice. This year's lineup of vendors looks impressive. They are:

Garden Vision, choice Epimediums and specialty shade plants.

American Native Plants, trees, shrubs, vines, groundcovers & perennials native to the Mid-Atlantic Region.

Aquascapes Unlimited, Ornamental and wetland aquatic nursery

Brushwood Nursery, specialty nursery featuring vines and climbers.

Butterfly Oasis, perennials and shrubs to attract and nurture wildlife.

Charles Racine Company, unusual Hosta and select perennials.

Dragon Eye Designs, Garden sculptures & accessories.
    Gettysburg Gardens, Native woody plants and other choice collectibles

Idlewild Farm, Inc., Peonies and rare trees & shrubs.

Jerry Fritz Garden Design / Linden Hill Gardens, Rare and unusual plants for collectors and connoisseurs.

Maple Grove Gardens, Japanese Maples, Japanese Hornbeam, assorted conifers, Bonsai starters.

Martin's Greenhouse, perennials, shrubs and annuals.

Octoraro Farm Nursery, native azaleas and native trees, shrubs and wildflowers.

Rare Find Nursery, Rare and unusual hardy perennials, shrubs and trees.

Sugarbush Nursery, native perennials and organic / clean air gardening products.

Wolf Run Nursery, conifers, large to dwarf, rare forms, unusual plants.

Yellow Springs Farm Native Nursery, Native wildflowers, grasses, ferns, shrubs and trees, plus natural and organic garden care products.

Blue Rock Gourds, Handpainted gourd birdhouses.

Karen's Birds and Beads Totems, Striking ceramic birds-and-beads totem poles for the garden.

Leaves by Nature, Beautifully detailed concrete cast leaves for the garden & home.

Expressions in Clay, handmade sculpture and functional pottery.

• carol23_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think this year looks exceptional! I'm looking for Caryopteris 'Summer Sorbet' and some native plants.
    The sculpture should be interesting, too.

• mdr944
    16 years ago

Is this what you mean?

Saturday, August 25, 9 am  2 pm
    Fall Gardeners' Market Sale
    The latest and rarest plants and garden accessories brought to you by about 20 specialty vendors that belong to HPS/MAG. Many do not sell to the public, so this is a unique opportunity to buy the most unusual, beautifully grown plants at low prices. Offerings will include vines, aquatics, natives, perennials, shrubs, trees, troughs, art, and garden accessories.

Watch this spot to learn which of your favorite vendors will be coming this year. They include: Dragon Eye Designs  garden sculpture and accessories, Yellow Springs Farm Native Plants Nursery, and Rare Find Nursery with its specialty rhododendrons. New this year we have Karen Sacks Pottery Totems and others, to be announced soon.

Open to the Public
    Frazer Mennonite Church
    Frazer, PA

• carol23_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mdr944 , Yes, that's the one!

• mdr944
    16 years ago

Thank you so very much Carol...I have always wanted to go to one of the meets but could never find them. I of course am a male and forget to ask for directions. LOL

Mark

• dedtired
    16 years ago

Mark -- it's right on Route 30. I work just a few minutes away. However, I don't live just a few minutes away. I wish this was a Friday so I could go from work. I'm not sure I am up for driving back out to Chester County on Saturday but this is very tempting.

Wha does HPS/MAG stand for?

• carol23_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hardy Plant Society, Mid=atlantic Group. There are a number of Hardy Plant Societies around the globe.

Here is a link that might be useful: HPSMAG

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

wow, that must be a great sale, I wish I could go. Thanks for the HPSMAG link. I particularily liked this description of their 'field trips':

"Most members would say that the best thing about HPS/MAG excursions is the opportunity to leave non-gardener mates at home, forget the problems of real life, and indulge our plant lust with equally passionate plant lovers."

My non-gardening mate would surely appreciate being able to opt-out of a few garden tours!

• emmamouse
    16 years ago

I heard that Darryll Probst, the Epimidium guru's nursery, is coming from Mass. with a truckload of new Epis plus other rare shade plants. I'm gathering together my milk crates and gassing up the car now!

Here is a link that might be useful: HPS/MAG Web site

• carol23_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kato, wish you could have been there!
    I came home with the new Caryopteris, a lovely variegated Eupatorium, a pink form of Sanguinaria and a few other things.
    Emmamouse, it was from Garden Visions that I purchased the pink flowered bloodroot.

• Carrie B
    16 years ago

I came home with a nice selection of ferns, a hepatica and a jeffersonia. Best of all, I found the parthenocissus tricuspidata 'Fenway Park' (golden Boston ivy) I've been looking for.

Thank you, Carol!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Carol, sounds like you found some new treasures. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a pink bloodroot. Also it seems like I'm seeing caryopteris every where I look now that you mentioned it. The regular blue is nice, but I am a sucker for a whole summer season of variegated foliage on top of the blue flowers.

Carrie- I made a big boo boo last year with the boston ivy. I saw it at a nursery but foolishly passed on it since I couldn't think of a place to plant it. I should have just got it since I've been wanting it for years. It would have looked just fine in a container planting!

• carol23_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kato, 'Snow Fairy' has done well for me.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Carol, I don't think I've seen a caryopteris look that good -even the green ones!
    It must look great when the flowers come, between that and the russian sage and the verbena that part of the garden must become a huge splash of blues and variegated foliage... and I bet the bees and butterflies love the late season flowers.

Sponsored