Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any experience with corn meal gluten on areas other than lawns?

Posted by Lisa_Michelle z6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 8:35

I was wondering if anyone has had experience using corn meal gluten on areas other than grass. I have a large area in the front of my yard that is part shade garden (that is mulched) with the remaining area covered with wood chips (no plantings). I had a large load of wood chips spread last autumn, which really reduced the amount of weeding this year. But I was considering raking up the wood chips and seed the area as a means of eliminating the task of weeding and using Round-Up (which I do loathe using) on the tenacious tree seedlings with deep tap roots. It's pretty shady, so I've been reluctant to seed for that reason. I was wondering if I could spread corn meal gluten on the woodchips as a pre-emergent treatment, as there will be plenty of new seeds just waiting to germinate next year. Or would I do better to bite the bullet, seed this autumn, and spread the corn meal gluten in the spring?
Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any experience with corn meal gluten on areas other than lawn

I've heard (!) that CMG in the perennial bed could cause stunted growth of the perennials. Applying the CMG this fall will not effect any spring seedlings. And, a hoe will knock down those tree seedlings easily if caught early.

o

Thanks for your feedback!
I've pretty much decided that it won't be too effective, based on other feedback and some info I found when I Googled it. It seems to take care of a lot of weeds that are typically found in lawns, and there isn't much promotion for it for use in other areas. The area I am working with is open enough that using a spreader would be easy, which is what made me think of CGM.

o

I've used both CGM and Preen. The CGM is outrageously expensive and does not work as well as the Preen. Both only control plants from seeding. Any perennial weeds will come back if not pulled up by the roots.

o

Thanks for the suggestion- I'll check out the Preen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here