Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_michelle_gw

Chaste Tree- what's your experience?

Lisa_Michelle
18 years ago

I just bought three Chaste Trees to fill in a gap along my property line. I've always admired a beautiful one at a neighbor's house down in Avalon, NJ. That one is planted against the house, so it is somewhat protected. I've read that in the NE, the tree can die back to the ground in the winter. The area I intend to plant it in is adjacent to a field, and it can get pretty windy in the winter. Am I foolish to leave it so exposed? And I'm curious about what height it might reach if it does die back each winter. I was interested in some height, as we expect development in the field and I am planning ahead for some privacy. And I wanted a late-flowering shrub in that space. I am in SE PA, and was wondering if others have had good success with this plant. The plants I bought are just Vitex Angus, which seems to be the run-of-the-mill varietal.

Any info or experiences would be welcome- Thanks!!

Comments (20)

• lellie
    18 years ago

Years ago, I had planted one in a small area between my deck steps and the pool...(prob'ly about 6' X 6')...my little pond is installed there now.
    That thing grew like a weed!!! LOL

Honestly! It got huge!
    Twas pretty though, when it bloomed, but much too wild for that small of a space.
    I'm thinking yours will do just fine out in the open.

• chescobob
    18 years ago

I planted a Chaste Plant last Summer and planted it in a very windy area. This Spring, I cut it back to about 18". It did not die back to the ground. Today, it is about 5' x 5' and now is sending up new shoots. I will not let this thing start next Spring larger than 18".

As lellie explained, this thing grows.

• Lisa_Michelle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your replies! I feel confident that I can plant these exactly where I want them and they'll have ample room and tolerate wind. Thank you for the pruning tip-that will be very useful indeed.

• janepa
    18 years ago

Hi, Lisa Michelle. I live in central PA about 40 miles north of Harrisburg. I planted two Chaste trees last spring. The one survived our winter, but the other did not. I was told to watch the growth also, but the one that made it is now only around 3 1/2' tall. I think there might be better choices for trees/shrubs that are being used to create a privacy 'fence'. Mine is a fairly open tree, and the flowers are already gone. There probably are different varieties. I first saw one a couple of years ago growing up against a house that was built right along Rte. 35. It seemed to thrive even with the car and truck exhausts and is a lot thicker than mine. The ones growing in my area do not get their leaves until later in the spring. That is another reason I have doubts about using it for privacy. I have some viburnums that are more dense and are beautiful when blooming, but they also drop their leaves. There is a tree now being sold - Wayside offers it, that is to be evergreen, have a great fragrance and grows at least 3' a year, and it is not bothered by pests, weather conditions, or soil types. It is similar to a techny arborvitae in looks. It was mentioned previously on this forum because someone was trying to find them, but I cannot think of the name. If you would like its name I can do a search.
    Good luck. Jane

• chescobob
    18 years ago

Jane:

Is the plant Thuja 'Green Giant?'

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Giant

• Lisa_Michelle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jane- thanks for sharing your experience. I will plan on screening the shrubs this year with burlap, to give them some added protection. I was encouraged by Bob's success with the plant, especially since he lives in Chester County as well. I'm not a huge evergreen fan, and I was looking for something that flowered at the end of the season as everything else in my garden starts to fade. My hope was that I could keep the plants pruned and maintain a nice, full shape.
    Like everything else in gardening, I'll give it a shot, and see what happens.......

• janepa
    18 years ago

Lisa, take a look at the post about crape myrtle. This might interest you also. I just got one with beautiful bright pink flowers. They bloom at this time and apparently for an extended period.
    Jane

• rjm710
    18 years ago

A couple of late blooming natives to consider would be Franklinia (a slow growing, small tree), and Aesculus parviflora (Bottlebrush Buckeye), a faster growing, large shrub.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aesculus parviflora

• Lisa_Michelle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've always wished I had a space for a Franklinia- I suppose I could squeeze one in somewhere ( I think there is ONE spot that would be suitable, come to think of it). My neighbor has a Bottlebrush Buckeye, and I agree it is a very nice specimen tree/shrub as well.
    I'll definitely keep that Franklinia in mind for possibly next year.......:)

• chescobob
    18 years ago

Lisa:

I mentioned that my Chaste Tree was sending up new shoots in my August 15 note. The new shoots are now preparing to bloom. That makes 2 separate blooming periods for me this Summer.

The bumblebees love it when it blooms.

• chescobob
    18 years ago

Well, the chaste tree is now 7' by 7' after the new shoots began to flower. This is its second year. Next Spring, after I trim it back and it is blooming, I'm going to transplant it to a more open area.

• Lisa_Michelle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bob-
    I planted mine a few weeks back and they look so puny right now! I'll be very interested in how yours do next year after you prune them back again. I'll definitely be following your lead, as I want them to look full and flower well, but want to try to keep them from becoming gargantuous. WOW- two sets of blooms in one summer- how fun!
    Thanks Bob.
    Lisa.

• chescobob
    18 years ago

Lisa:

My Chaste Tree is still in full bloom. This is the second of 2 full blooms in its second year. I'm not sure if I am going to move it next Spring. Wherever it ends up, I'm going to cut it down to 18" again.

• chescobob
    17 years ago

Well, it is Spring now and today I dealt with my 7' Chaste Tree. It was just too large for its space so I moved it to an area in back where I am making the last of my hills disappear.

I dug it out this morning and it was just beginning to grow new leaves. I decided against pruning it and moved it all. It was not very hard digging it out. However, there were some tap roots I had to cut. I prepared a nice new place in back and hope it likes it there. We will see. If it is happy, it should surpass 9' this Summer.

• Lisa_Michelle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bob-
    Mine did fine this winter and I have new buds on them. I'll try to keep them pruned and tame for now.
    Someone mentioned the Franklinia tree, which I did some research on. The tree was discovered by Bartram in Georgia, and the native tree appeared to have almost disappeared by the 1800's. The seeds don't germinate very readily. It's questionable how well they would do in this area, and they seem to need a lot of TLC conditions. That's why you never see them in local nurseries. Some specialty nurseries sell them, though.
    I love Google.........

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Lisa - Bartram's whole botanical venture was established right here in Philadelphia and he brought, grew, and propagated his Franklinia specimens here. What is available in the trade today can supposedly be traced back to the original stock that he grew here. So it should do okay in SE PA. I have seen some for sale over the years at one or more of my local nurseries.

• chescobob
    17 years ago

My Chaste Tree is slowly coming to life. I think the transplant slowed it a bit. However, it looks OK now. I pruned a bit off the top and pruned last year's blooms. It is still about 6' around. It is in between a new 'Sensation' Lilac and a new Hibiscus Syriacus 'Amplissimus'.

• Sunnyevenings_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Kirpal Singh exists only in fragment officially. He
    States case closed.

• maryanne0620
    8 years ago

I transplanted a 3 year old bush / tree approx 1 week ago and it is showing great stress. Is there anything to do to help beside watering and feeding?

• cenepk10
    8 years ago

Here is my 4 year old Chaste Tree. It's pathetic- The one down the street is 20 ' tall & in full bloom & dark green. Mine looks like its holding on for dear life.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner