Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

What a storm!

Pipersville_Carol
18 years ago

We had had a massive lightning storm last night (Sunday) around 11 pm, with heavy rain that lasted at least an hour. Huge bolts were forking across the sky, right overhead. I even saw one bolt that flowed down to the ground like a column of liquid, then back up, and back down again. Scary.

It was GREAT to get the rain, though, and the cooler air. My garden is happy today.

Comments (12)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Yeah... was going to post about that myself! They are blaming a number of house fires and a church fire in Whitemarsh (Montco) which is a couple miles from me, on lightning strikes. The storm woke me up and was quite disturbing.

I saved the Doppler radar image from just after midnight during the heart of it. I can imagine the folks in Chester and Delaware counties really got hit hard based on the color gradations of the doppler.

• Patriz
    18 years ago

I loved it! Of course, I had just finished watering the local elementary school garden (it needed a deep watering anyway, which took a couple of hours). Some of those lightning bolts went horizontally through the sky...and that thunder...what a show! I did hear the volie siren go off...not sure if it was for Bucks or Mont. Co, as I live adjacent to both counties. The rain was a blessing :)

• chescobob
    18 years ago

We had a nice rain in SW Chester County that did not tear up some grass seed that I planted a few days ago.

We were on the bottom edge of that thing and did not get much of the wind and lightning.

• beanmomma
    18 years ago

Bethlehem got the wind and lightning, but alas none of the rain!

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

that really was incredible! even the dog was cowering, and he's never even flinched during a thunderstorm before. i have no idea where the cat went to hide.

the glasses in the cupboard were rattling so much, i thought for sure there'd be nothing but glass dust left by the time it was over.

the rain was so nice. we went outside while the storm was still going. maybe it was because it hadn't rained in so long, but it sure had that sweet earthy aroma of a spring shower.

• Lily316
    18 years ago

In Cumberland county we got not one drop and we are in desperate need.

• witsend22
    18 years ago

The storms missed my house and town and its so bad we have no water from midnight to 6 am as they shut it off to save and letthe tanks fill some. The folks like me who live further up the hill loose water between noon and 6pm because there is not enough pressure to get it up here to use even when it isnt turned off. we need rain soooooooo baaaaaad

even my well outside is so low it has only about a foot of water in it so I can't even draw buckets to use on yard

• mwoods
    18 years ago

It drove our cat under the bed for the night when a couple of trees in the woods behind us got a direct hit.

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

Wow, I wish sw PA had gotten a nice thunderstorm, but we had a couple quiet booms last night, and a nice LONG STEADY light rain this morning, I couldn't believe it!!! I keep saying they should have declared today a HOLIDAY because it actually RAINED for the first time in AGES! I wanted to stay home & celebrate! LOL

• chescobob
    18 years ago

We've had a nice steady rain for much of the morning in SW Chester County. I bet it is around an inch or so.

• blueheron
    18 years ago

Same here in Lancaster Co with an all day soaker. Just what we needed. I was doing the happy dance!

• CitrusPA
    18 years ago

I was at Beltzville state park when it happened...it was INSANE! The lake had waves with whitecaps and froth on top, which is a very rare thing...I couldn't see at all to drive...

Later!
    Dan

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting