Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
came home early from vacation to weed the garden

Posted by pipersville_carol z6 Bucks PA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 7, 06 at 11:24

I was on vacation at Barnegat Light last week, and came home on Thursday night because the rental house didn't have air conditioning. Usually I prefer no ac at the beach, but not at 100 degrees. And I kept thinking about my weedy jungle of a garden, which hadn't been tended in weeks and weeks. I hardly gardened at all in July.

The beds are all weeded now, after hours of work, and I'm in love with my garden all over again. I heaped the wheelbarrow full at least 15 times. Hacked back roses and viburnums, ripped blankets of morning glories off of shrubs, tore up huge patches of knotweed, pulled vines down from the house soffits. And my husband and I mowed the whole property on Friday and Saturday, and took several big limbs off of the honeylocust to open up the patio view.

I may make this an annual habit. Spend July guiltlessly slacking off, and then make up for it in one frenzied August weekend.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: came home early from vacation to weed the garden

Hi---My BIL lives on LBI and he said last week was horrible--the heat ---the flies and the cold water.

I'm sorry that was the week you were there.

Sounds like you had more fun at home.

Florence

o

I don't know how you did anything in that heat. I barely managed to keep everything watered while being eaten alive by mosquitoes and even some horseflies which I rarely see in my neighborhood.

Kathy

o

Being hot down at LBI got me used to the heat somehow. I'd spend a hour in the garden, then an hour inside or in the shade reading, then back out into the garden.

Heat, flies.... it was still better than being at work!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here