Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maybe We Can Get Some Roses Now

Posted by chescobob z6b SEPA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 05 at 11:33

While it was raining slowly yesterday, I gave my 33 first-year rose bushes a nice feeding. The devil beetles have been in charge of them since mid-June but I think they are going to let me have them back the remainder of the season.

This morning, after the rain, I picked several Fragrant Clouds and a couple of Scentimentals and put them in a vase together. I have another vase with a Veteran's Honor, a couple of Angel Faces, an About Face, and another Fragrant Cloud. I also did a second trimming of the bushes to remove beaten down branches and some old blooms I missed this past weekend.

I hope I get a bunch of blooms soon. My Full Sail is loaded with buds--and if the devils are gone--it will be sepctacular. Even Black Bacarra and Tamora are getting in the spirit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maybe We Can Get Some Roses Now

Weeding and fertilizing roses is all I got done yesterday in the rain.

Is fragrant cloud a good winter hardy rose for our zone. Its one I have been thinking of planting next spring

I lost my angelface and grenada to winter kill this year so replace replace I must lol.

o

I'm going to find out myself this Winter. This is my first year here in SW Chester County with roses. For the past decades, I was about 100 miles south of here on the D. C. Beltway in MD with my rose gardens at my previous house.

Down there, I did have Fragrant Clouds, Rio Sambas, Double Delights, Elinas, and Ingrid Bergman and they came back every year for the 7 years I had them.

o

I am in Bucks County. Last year I didn't lose 1 of my 100 roses. I was actually surprised. I thought I would lose a couple. I am now up to 150 so this winter will be interesting. Actually, I think we are closer to a zone 7 than 6b. Our temps. don't go below 0. At our office in town, it is definitely a zone 7 or 8. I can't believe what survives there.

o

not sure what zone im in now with the "new" zone map but was a 5/6 depending which side of the street I was on lol

got energized after reading this post and went out and took some cuttings. Maybe they will take this time haven't had much luck here but have started some sucessfully in jersey at mom moms.

o

I'm still getting 1 or 2 beetles in the light colored roses. I'm going out now and see if I can get some Full Sail blooms for a vase.

o
RE: Maybe We Can Get Some Roses Nowa

Well, I was a little lucky. The beetles are still sleepy and I had a chance to pick some undamaged roses.

I have two vases full with blooms from Full Sail, Royal Amethyst, The McCartney Rose, Fragrant Plum, Radiant Perfume, Fragrant Cloud, and even a Tamora. I had to pick some a little early and I am hoping they can open.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here