Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthlydelights_gw

Dropping a zone...what do i need to know?

earthlydelights
16 years ago

I'm in Montgomery county, not far outside of philadelphia, zone 6.

I would like to move a good deal of plants to another location, which is upstate in Tioga county in zone 5.

what do i need to know? will the plants that i grow here survive up there? i'm not talking anything tropical or exotic, just all the regulars - iris, peony, daylily, etc.

thanks

maryanne

Comments (10)

• murial
    16 years ago

I'm in zone 5/Mercer Co. around 1700 feet, and grow all those with no problem whatsoever. Plus grasses and hostas.

The only thing that gets me some years, is a late frost, sometimes as far as the first week or so into June. Lost all my Iris blooms one year.

Growth here seems to be about 3 weeks behind Phila. I've been to Tioga Co., just can't remember what Spring was like there.

Hope this helps.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks murial, appreciate the response.

i would hate to loose everything i've collected, especially my iris - that would bring tears to my eyes. i'll have to make sure to plant with caution.

maryanne

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Hi Maryanne,
    It's not too long ago that I moved a bunch of plants from my parent's z6/7 garden to my new garden in z5. I didn't have any problems as far as hardiness but I did have some trouble with poor soil prep and the resulting poor winter drainage (my own fault!), also with borderline hardy plants such as liriope and them not making it due to fall planting (should have moved them in the spring so they could establish).
    Good luck!
    Frank

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    16 years ago

frank, thanks that is good to know. i'll have to make sure there is plenty of prep done before planting. i have started digging things that are well past their bloom and potting them, this way i won't feel pressured to get everything where it needs to be right away. if push comes to shove, i can just put all the pots in trenches in the ground and then come spring do what needs to be done.

if this all transpires, i hope to do it intelligently and only take what i really feel i have to have (LOL)

maryanne

• murial
    16 years ago

That would be all of the plants. Right? lol.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Murial- heh heh. I think I left behind a hydrangea that never bloomed for me... maybe that and spiderwort (never really liked the spiderwort). I was sorta stupid and even took the time to take common plants that I knew I would be able to find again.... I just like being able to say they were from mom or whoever instead of saying "Home Depot".

Maryanne -you probably already know this but I think it helps to have the soil mounded a little over the edges of the pots when they're buried. It keeps the melting snow from re-freezing around the crown of the plant and possibly killing the top.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    16 years ago

frank, thanks. the last few days have been digging and potting. my driveway looks like a small nursery. i've already run out of holding area room that i am putting pots in so once i dig a few more beds, i'll just put the pots in those beds. for all i know, this move might not happen, but the last thing i want is to be stuck without my plants.

murial LOL - everything - i'm doing my best not too. i'll leave plenty, i'll just be taking plentyx10. some things i'll just take a small piece. i've already learned the best way to transport them all at once and each time that shovel goes in the ground, i think i must be nuts!

i need to get some bigger pots and i have to certainly remember to take my peonies.

the heck with clothes and furniture LOL

maryanne

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

I just read your other post about Tioga County----then I saw this post---Sounds like you are really serious since you are already digging up plants.

Thank goodness for the computer so you can still stay in touch.

Florence

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    16 years ago

flo, it was so gorgeous up there. the one house in particular is a steal. i would pay 4 or 5 times over down here. i could get enough for my house, pay this one in full, if i chose and then still have some to do whatever with.

you should see all the room to put plants. i will even have to get more LOLOLOLOL

it's time for a change. if i don't do it soon, i'll be 80 rocking on my porch, kicking myself for not.

and yes, thank goodness for the power of the internet.

maryanne

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

Maryanne------I just talked to my DH about Tioga County and he said it is gorgeous-------

His friends go snowmobiling somewhere near that area---

I wish you the best of luck and you are so right about doing it now-----while you are still young enough to make the move.

My roses are not looking very good right now-----

Viking Queen is a good choice----and the group of roses called Albas do well in the colder areas

check out the Antique Rose forum and gallery-----

Celestialrose lives in N.H. and she has gorgeous roses--

She sent me a cutting from a rose she found in an old cemetery------it now has some leaves---can't wait to see it bloom---Celeste says it is a tough rose.

Good luck and keep me posted-------

I love to hear about new adventures.

Florence
    ---

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville