Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crape Myrtle 'Tonto'

Posted by livelsberger 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 15:00

I would love to see pics of others crape myrtles from here in PA...please post...here is my 'Tonto,' in bloom on August 16th. This crape is 3 years old and I just love the color of the flowers.

P.S.- I am from Southcentral PA, Adams county.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tonto

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crape Myrtle 'Tonto'

What a beauty. Do you think it would grow in Bedford County? I would love to have one.

o

Do you do anything special to get yours to bloom? I've had one for several years. It dies back to the ground in the winter, grows into a very nice shrub, gets pretty red leaves at the top but only has a few tiny blooms. Saw them in Tennessee and had to have one. Am happy with the appearance of the shrub but would love to see it in full bloom.
It lives in an area that is covered with black plastic, then decorative rock. It should be about the warmest place in my gardening spaces. Have wondered if it weren't for the plastic and rock it might just disappear altogether.

o

livelsberger, I came across your post online searching for Tonto crape myrtle information. Yours is very pretty! Has it grown much in the last few years? I'm looking for one that is a fuchsia or watermellon red that gets to about 12-15 feet. I am finding differing height information on different websites, so I'm wondering how tall yours has gotten. I live in the south, though, so I imagine a Tonto might grow larger down here. Do you have any more recent pictures? Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here