Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthlydelights_gw

What can you tell me about Tioga County?

earthlydelights
16 years ago

Anyone from the area? Good, bad or indifferent things to say? I would appreciate some first hand knowledge.

Thanks

Maryanne

Comments (8)

• murial
    16 years ago

A good friend of ours lives there. I remember it being quite rural but beautiful.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yes, it is indeed beautiful and it is country-like and parts are extremely rural. did your friends always live there or did they relocate to the area? did they work there? where?

as you can see, i have many questions and then some.

maryanne

• murial
    16 years ago

Our friend's family lived there for several generations. My DH met our friend while working in Bucks County together. We moved here to Mercer County and he moved back home to Tioga after a work injury about 15 years ago.

DH's uncle used to have friends up there he visited all the time in the 50's and 60's and it turns out it was our friend's neighbors. Some of the nicest people I've ever met live there!

In our small, local library there is a book called My Pennsylvania. It was printed in the middle 40's, and DH and I smile when we think that the only description (with photo supplied) they could write about Tioga County at the time were about the beautiful buckwheat fields! Don't think it's changed all that much either.

Where he lives is quite close to the NY line. Was a short drive to Corning - which was also a nice side trip.

I know his Dad worked all his adult life for the gas company up there until retirement. Not sure what other employment is there. His Mother was a teacher.

If I think of anything else interesting I'll let you know. Like I said it's been a while. We keep meaning to go back to visit. Now everywhere I go I crane my neck for garden places - visiting friends is always an excuse for more plants! Back then I wasn't into gardening like I am today.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for the update murial. i appreciate that you took the time to respond.

well, if it ever happens and being the fanatical gardener that i am. come visit and don't forget your shovel :-)

maryanne

• murial
    16 years ago

Hope it works out.

You can count on me bringing a shovel! And coffee.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So, i took a trip upstate yesterday. It took a good long time to get there. Looked at a couple properties as well as a few areas. Saw a house I would seriously consider buying - have to give it more thought, but boy, what a house. Still would like to take the time and check out a few others.

What a beautiful area. The moutains are just a beautiful sight to behold. God really had some artistic vision!

I have a nephew over the state line in NY, so I've been up that way, but never to the areas I visited yesterday.

Maryanne

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

Maryanne-----I've been away from this site for quite a while and while checking in I noticed your post--

Are thinking of relocating------I'm not familiar with Tioga County but will check with my DH.

Florence

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Flo, yes, i am. i looked a few years ago over the state line into ny, but the time and circumstances weren't right. the itch hasn't gone away. i decided to stay in my own state and want to be in a more country-like/rural setting. this county is just one of the most beautiful.

i saw some properties and one in particular might be the one. i just have to get my house in order and put it on the market and away i go! if i don't do it now, i never will and i will live with that regret.

once i get settled, please come up and help me plant a rose garden

maryanne

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz