Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know of some Lehigh Valley plant swap events?

Posted by eaksqueak 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 16:23

I've been hunting around online trying to find plant swaps that are held in the Lehigh Valley area. I have never been to one and would like to start attending them. It looks like they are usually held in the spring, which is a ways off from now, but I'm still interested in knowing about them so I can mark my calendar.

I'll start by listing the two I have found so far.

TBE Plant Exchange
Sunday, April 27, 2014 : 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
http://www.jewishlehighvalley.org/calendar/index.aspx?startdate=4/27/2014 10:00:00 AM&enddate=4/27/2014 11:00:00 AM&id=63&eventid=887632&recurrenceid=0

Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley Spring Plant Exchange
Sometime in May?
http://www.thepromenadeshopsatsauconvalley.com/info/plant.cfm

Anybody know of others? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know of some Lehigh Valley plant swap events?

You might want to look into joining a local garden club; most have at least one swap each year. Some clubs will let you join in the fun even if you're not a member as long as you bring something to share.

There is also the Hardy Plant Society - Mid Atlantic Group. Although they don't have plant swaps, they hold a members-only sale in the Spring - prices are VERY reasonable - I always find something interesting there. All plants come from members' gardens and benefit HPS scholarship and grant funds. The HPS also has a free seed swap in the Fall that a lot of members rave about... I've never participated since I don't have the patience to grow from seed (lol).

The Pennsylvania Horticulture Society has an annual Fall Garden Festival (Sept. 21 this year). Members can select free plants at the "Plant Dividend", a popular PHS member benefit which takes place in a HUGE tent at the festival. If you attend the Flower Show (the Dual Associate membership ($65) includes two adult tickets) and get some goodies at the Garden Festival, it's worth the cost of membership. A lot of the plants (all donated from members gardens and several nurseries) look pretty ratty by mid September but will be just fine in the Spring... you'd be surprised how many folks pass up really nice plants because they don't look good in September!! Members who bring donations get first dibs (9:00-10:00 AM) and if you hang around to 2:30-ish, you can literally fill your car with the leftovers.

And lastly, you might want to find a freecycle group in your area. I find homes for lots of my divisions and cast-offs through my local freecycle group - and I don't need to wait for an organized swap or sale. If you're not familiar with freecycle it's an online forum (my local one is a Yahoo group) where you can post "Wanted" or "Offer" (if you have something to give away) messages . It's mostly household stuff, but I see lots of "Offers" for plants this time of the year on my group.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leigh Valley gardening - links to various groups and resources in your area

o
RE: Anyone know of some Lehigh Valley plant swap events?

any chance you are on Berks County side
we might be able to do a one-on-one

Here is a link that might be useful: My Trade Page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here