Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

Urge to mow

Pipersville_Carol
17 years ago

We didn't get around to mowing before the rains hit, and now the lawn and pastures are really shaggy and tall and waterlogged. No dry weather in sight, either. Everything looks so unkempt, it's driving me nuts.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments (6)

• chescobob
    17 years ago

I'm going to try tomorrow afternoon. I think that is the last chance for some time.

• mombo
    17 years ago

Well we had about 6 inches of rain since last Saturday so the grass is looking pretty shaggy. Some of the spots in the lawn that were brown are now coming back. I still prefer grass that needs cutting to shoveling snow. Where did the summer go? I can see a change in the air already and believe it or not even a few trees have some colored leaves. So Carol relax and enjoy the green. It will be gone before you know it. Looks like we are in for some more rain in the next few days so I am heading out to the garden to deadhead and trim so DH can possibly mow this weekend. Always something to do in the garden.

• murial
    17 years ago

Have same in Mercer County. Making the mosquitoes even worse than they already are! Will have to don full get-up just to mow. Hopefully before it rains tomorrow afternoon.
    But everything is so much greener now - a great trade off.

• chescobob
    17 years ago

I got the yard done with the tractor and did the top of my terraces with the lawn mower. Maybe I will get a shot at the front of the woods with the trimmer tomorrow before it rains.

• naturenut_pa
    17 years ago

My lawn doesn't look shaggy at all. A few days ago I spent *maybe* 10 minutes mowing the grass immediately around the house. Everything else had either seemed to stop growing, or withered away from the drought.
    Just today I noticed that the lawn did look greener. I just hope it's the grass rebounding and not weeds.

I'm looking forward to a lot of rain. Even with the 2" or so we've got in the past week, two ponds are still dry. Only one of our ponds has water and it's been attracting a lot of deer, who are eating everything while they're here.

This drought has robbed me of the opportunities to mow the lawn this past month, which is something I actually enjoy.

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We spent Labor Day mowing, for four hours straight. Hubby was on the big farm tractor, I was using the small walk-behind mower for tight spots and paths. I did some weeding, too. The ground was finally soft enough to get roots out.

What a relief to get everything cut. There were actually some tall shrubby weeds growing up in the lawn areas, since we hadn't mowed for weeks. My small mower kept choking and stalling in the high grass.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner