Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

Think we'll get any rain from Katrina?

Pipersville_Carol
18 years ago

Does anyone think Hurricane Katrina will send rain our way?

I know it's all the way down in Florida, but my garden is hoping it sweeps on up our way. We could use a day of drenching rain.

Comments (17)

• nancycon
    18 years ago

We're expected to get some in Western PA tomorrow. I also hope it comes soon. The ground has giant fissures in it and I feel concerned for the daily wilting of my shrubs and garden plants.

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Weather on the TV tonight showed potential from Katrina early next week. It is a bit dry just now, but I've had a couple of 1/4" nighttime showers in the last 2 weeks so I'm not desperate. My shrubs are still ok from the ground saturation of last month, but some perennials are starting to look a bit stressed.

George

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

I was thinking the same thing about Katrina's arrival. Maybe a little shower this weekend to prime the soil and then later a day of rain to just soak in nicely. If it all hits at once it'll just roll off the dry soil.

The trees are starting to drop leaves here. Most of the shrubs are droopy and dry. My grass is straw. Even with the cooler temps the plants are still hanging their leaves in the sun, even when I throw a little water their way. The best thing I did this year was regularly water a few of my favorite plants... I would be so depressed if everything in the garden was dried up.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

On the eastern side of the state, we almost always get rain from the remnants of these hurricanes, mainly because of the prevailing jetstream that moves systems from west to east.

• stimpy926
    18 years ago

I hope that trend follows through Jenny, remnants of past hurricane have broken past droughts and dry spells....Floyd did it in overtime.... we really need it in our area, the ground is hard and dry. Come on Katrina!

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Gosh... I'll never forget Floyd! Was let out early from work and it ended up that my normal 30 - 40 minute commute home took over 3 hours through many flooded city streets and a convoluted path... All to avoid the overflowing rivers and creeks and underpasses! My normal route is along the Delaware River, Schulkyll River, Wissahickon Creek, and Creshiem Creek, so going that way was definitely a no-go! Then once I made it home, I found my half-barrel water garden overflowing and I had to bail 4 gallons of water out of it. And that is on a covered balcony! LOL

• kenzie_pom
    18 years ago

Hi ya'll. I have been following storm. We get a little more than rain down here in Mobile. National Weather Service and NOAA website has her in Ohio by mid-week. This is the website.

http://www.noaa.gov/

Take care.
    Cheers

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I've been following various weather services including the NWS and they have no idea where it's going. LOL Earlier, it was due to slowly cut across south Florida as a tropical storm and head into the Gulf greatly weakend. But it barely spent time on land, hitting near Ft. Lauderdale, sideswiping Miami and the southern tip of Florida, and only briefly winding down to a tropical storm before strengthening again to a hurricane, instead running right over the Florida Keys and into the Gulf. Then "the cone of uncertainty" had it supposedly hitting somewhere between Pensacola and Apalachicola, cutting around through Alabama, northern Georgia, the western Carolinas, and into Virginia and north... Now they're shifiting it more westerly towards Mississippi and Lousiana, with North Orleans at its center.

Just have to keep monitoring. It depends on what those Cold Fronts will do and where they'll be when Katrina makes landfall again. Ie., Katrina can be drawn up along them, which inturn draws the rains right up their path to here - particularly with that big High sitting NE of here off the coast of New England with a southeasterly flow associated with it.

• stimpy926
    18 years ago

Holy Hurricanes Batman! The explosion of that system when it hit the gulf was amazing. With 2 more disturbances off the African coast now, we're in the thick of the season now.
    Best of luck to our southern friends.

• lynn_d
    18 years ago

Our forecasters say it is going to hit us Tuesday night into Wednesday. I hope they are right we really need the rain. On the downside I have a dear friend in Covington, right outside New Orleans and a cousin on the banks of Lake Pontchartrain.

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I hope we get rain, rain, rain on Tuesday and Wednesday.

It rained nicely at my house this weekend, and I was outside weeding on Sunday morning (in the pouring rain... can you tell I'm a crazy gardener?). I was surprised to find that even after at least a half inch of rainfall, only the very top layer of soil was wet.
    Everything below that was still dry as a bone.

• earline_pa zone 6 Pa.
    18 years ago

Today in Berks Co. (I live very near Chester and Montgomery counties) we had tornado watch until 9 am. I work nights and when I left last night at 10:45 it was 79F, when I came home this morning it was still 79F and MUGGY and NO RAIN.

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

dang. looks like we've been left high and dry. i think in a few days my poor goldfish are going to be flopping around from one mud puddle to the next.

i keep thinking about a sci-fi movie called "Dune".

best to look on the bright side. we're hoping to finish digging pond #3 this weekend, and it will be that much easier. not that digging thru pure clay could ever be too easy.

• witsend22
    18 years ago

not a drop here just some wind and cloud. did get some rain finally the day before she by passed us though so that was a help

• hoehum
    18 years ago

Watching the coverage of the devastation, I feel so guilty rejoicing. Thankfully, another system brought a nice misting rain that dampened the crust before Katrina arrived. All told, my rain guage Tuesday night through Wednesday had 4.1"

We had way less wind than expected. The Love Lies Bleeding fell over because the water logged tassels were too heavy coupled with the wonderfully softened ground. I hoisted them back up along with a few other leaners.

• stimpy926
    18 years ago

Had a 5 minute shower last night around 6, that's all, from the biggest hurricane ever - (it seems) :-(

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

These cooler temperatures and rainy days are destroying my lawn. It's got this odd greenish color spreading all over it. I think I remember the same thing happening last spring when the snow finally melted. Could it be that it's starting to grow again?!

Pretty soon I may have to mow it..... last time that happened was back in June!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner