Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peggydann

Anyone from NE Pennsylvania?

peggy13
16 years ago

Hi,

Haven't visited GardenWeb for quite some time. Wondering if anyone is still on the forum from NE Pa.?

Comments (14)

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    16 years ago

Hi Peggy!

I'm here! I'm Tamra & from Lake Carey...well, north of Tunkhannock..... in the sticks!

There are a few from NEPA here. There's a few from the Pittston/Exeter/Wyoming area, another from Tunkhannock, one from Dunmore. I know I'm forgetting quite a few.

There aren't many posts here right now. I guess everyone is outside staring at their gardens!

I see you are NY/PA. Where are you from? What's doing well in your garden?

I get around to checking gardenweb about once a week in between "mom" things. Talk to you soon! Tamra

• gratefulgardener3300
    16 years ago

Hi! Newbie to the site and to gardening from Blakely, Pa. My first year and I did pretty well so far (good tomatoes, lettuce, herbs and peppers, decent zucs and some crummy garlic). Can't wait until next year to reconfigure my garden and the new flower garden I threw together at my mother's house.

• peggy13
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm familiar with Blakesley ..... have friends in Sierra View. Seems a lot colder there than where I am. It seems Rte. 940 is like a dividing road. There can be no snow at all below it and, as soon as you drive north to the other side of it, you can hit 2 feet of snow in the winter!!

• woodthrush
    16 years ago

Peggy, I think you are thinking of Blakeslee on Rt 940, different town from Blakely.
    I'm in Albrightsville - pretty close to Sierra View.
    Pam

• floragal
    16 years ago

Hi Peggy!

I'm the other one from Tunkhannock - transplanted here from Anchorage, Alaska via Big Flats, NY. While I've been a member for years, I only came out of lurking last spring when gerry/wyoming suggested a plant swap. I still only post occasionally which is funny 'cause IRL I talk a lot!

I have 1/2 acre which is planted pretty heavily - an acquaintenance said, "Wow, you don't have much land but you've sure made the most of it!" when he drove by and spotted me out in the yard one day. Which may explain my infrequent posts. I'm usually up to my elbows in soil!

We're throwing around the idea of another plant swap here in the fall - location TBD (unless katoB steps up to the plate!). Interested?

MiSchelle

• peggy13
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi MiSchelle,
    Gee, sounds like me. I've been a member for years too and never missed a day logging in. Then, for some reason, I just became lax. Just yesterday, thought about it and 'got hooked' again:) I, too, have loved gardening since a small child. We lived in an apartment in NYC, and my grandfather had this 'garden' for me on the fire escape of a third floor!! p.s. I didn't know until years later that is illegal to put ANYTHING on a fire escape; but it was the top floor anyway:) I've never lost the love of gardening and would rather take care of gardens on ten properties than do housecleaning!! I have about 2 acres here but I learned quickly how planting here is NOT the same as planting in NY. I had to have backhoes come in to dig up all the 'boulders' and clay soil ..... only to have to bring in semis of soil to backfill. It took a good couple of years to get the soil 'right' and I still have a very long way to go. I don't know about where you are, but here it is very 'wooded' .... oaks and pines almost 100 feet high all around.
    p.s. IRL, I ALSO am known to "talk a LOT" :)
    Peggy

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

ok. duh. what does IRL mean?

I'm here in Dupont (or when we want to be fancy we go French and call it DuPont). I think this has been my third season here and things are still in a total planning stage.... so many ideas so little time. But in my defense, at least the house is now liveable (ie. plumbing, heat, kitchen, no more wildlife in the ceilings)
    I have a small city lot and the gardens here are slowly taking shape.... but I'm not sure yet if it's the shape I want them to have. Shapeless or not, at least I have a few cool plants now to keep me happy.

I might just step up to the plate Mischelle and host a swap! It would be great to have everyone over -plus if it's here there's no way for me to miss it!

• woodthrush
    16 years ago

Where are you located, Kato. I'd be interested in coming to the swap also
    Pam

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

I'm in Dupont, about midway between Wilkes Barre and Scranton (easy on and off from 81!)
    Sounds like I'm commiting to a swap.. how did this happen?

Oh and by the way someone took me aside and explained IRL.
    Now I know three things, IRL, LOL and L8R. I am so on the cutting edge.

• floragal
    16 years ago

kato - I don't know how it happened either! *innocently looking the other way* If you're really serious about hosting, perhaps we should start another thread to that effect. I'll be happy to help! I took a hard look at the garden after you came by and realize I just need to spread things out a little more and give them room to grow. Somehow their shapes get lost when they're so close together like that.

Cutting edge, huh? You need a teenager in your life! That's how I keep up...

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

heh heh..... teenagers in my life? I just started back at school -I face about 120 17/18 year olds every day. Instead of keeping me young I think they make me older!

I'll look up some dates and start that thread. I need a good diversion.

• cherriej
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm checking in from Spring Brook Twp which is near Moscow/Pocono area, just off 380S. I've been a member of gardenweb for a few years but spend most of my time lurking on the Rose Forums.

I live in a small development on 1 1/2 acres of land. I have both vegetable and flower gardens.

My gardens include roses, annuals, perennials, shrubs and a few trees.

I'm working on small rose/cottagey type garden and have had some success with it. If only the JB's would leave it alone! They've been bad this year but I guess that's what happens when you plant a big salad bar for them. They are slowing down now so I'm hoping to have a decent amount of unspoiled blooms this fall.

My kids are grown and gone so I'm not up on what IRL or L8R mean either. Guess I lost my edge. Someone what to fill me in!

It's nice to hear from everyone and to know there are other people attempting to garden here too.

Cherrie

• snowhare
    16 years ago

Hi everybody...

I am in Wilkes Barre.... moved here a few years ago. I discovered this website a few months ago, when I decided to try gardening. Sooo, I am still pretty green! Except for my thumb maybe... lol

Happy gardening, Snow

• nick_17815_pa
    16 years ago

I'm in Catawissa, moved recently from Espy (bloomsburg area) I finally have some room to roam for 14acres.