Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithlcgrace

How does you garden grow NEPA?

Lcgrace Mahoney
16 years ago

I'm ready for fall! This year was another year of experimenting with "what likes it here". :( I'm slowly working on amending my soil because I'm growing on rock ledges and "hardpan" dirt on the top of a mountain. Tomatoes liked it last year, not so much this year. I have a chance at some good green peppers....it looks like I may have some buds coming.

I'm ready for the weed whacker and a much more simplified plan next year!! How about all of you?? Tamra

Comments (12)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Hi Tamra!
    Sorry to hear that you're tired of the summer, I wish it would go on a few more months!
    Are you really going to go with a more simplified plan next spring??? I hope not. When those seed catalogs start coming in December you'll probably plan on starting a new bed.
    Parts of my garden are settling in. I have a few things that are still doing well such as phlox, blackeyed susans and annuals.... and of course sedums and hostas. and there are some things that don't like their spots such as my hydrangea which needs more water constantly. But at least the tomatoes are doing well here!
    We must have had alot of rain. I can't remember the last time the grass was actually green in August.

Maybe you need a fall swap in order to get the garden blood going again! Mischelle reminded me that a September swap was on the datebook and for some reason I don't remember offering to host it!
    Frank

• woodthrush
    16 years ago

I don't have enough sun for veggies. But the perennials have done very well this year. We could have used a bit more rain these last couple weeks. The thunderstorms kept going north or south of us.
    Pam

• floragal
    16 years ago

My gardens were looking rough due to the drought we've had. I can't believe how many times I would see rain all around us and not get a drop here. The last couple of days we've had all kinds of rain, so things should perk up. Of course, the slugs are out in huge numbers now. The fish love them, so the past few evenings it's been pick and toss, pick and toss. I know, GROSS!! The next week or so I'll be weeding like a wild woman, and cutting down the most overgrown plants. Time to thin out (again!).

Frank, here's the evidence:
    "Maybe I need to host a later season swap..... The deck is in the process of being built (don't ask -it's the reason i couldn't make it Sunday and it's also the source of many arguments..."

OK, so maybe it wasn't a bona fide offer, but still...

I vote we do a fall swap. Yay? Nay?

M

• gratefulgardener3300
    16 years ago

I'm llooking for garden clubs and/or swaps in the nepa area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• floragal
    16 years ago

We have the Endless Mountain Gardeners here in Wyoming County. We meet at the Tunkhannock Public Library on the 3rd Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. We have a seedling sale in May and a plant auction in June, as well as programs throughout the year. In the summer months brave souls open their gardens to members for a tour.

A Nicholson women's group has an annual plant swap as well.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Ouch. The evidence is there..... I guess I need to get things rolling!
    step 1: butter up spouse
    step 2: notify spouse
    step 3: begin disclaimers about the state of the garden
    and after that's all done I guess it's time to pick a date!
    Frank

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Just to clear things up, when I said I was "picking a date" I meant I was checking the calender.

People are welcome to bring a date, but I most likely will not so as to keep my wife happy.

• floragal
    16 years ago

Ha!ha! Pick a date! Too funny. What step are you on, kato? Are you past the butter up wife stage yet?

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

The buttering up has taken a small side detour (what else is new?).
    After 4 year of essentially gutting this house and building it back up from scratch my wife wants to move. Her grandmother is most likely moving in with my inlaws and they want us to buy the grandmother's house.
    Down side to this is the MIL/FIL on one side, the BIL/SIL on the other and a future industrial park behind. I'm trying to fight but it's a losing battle.

I'll be looking for suggestions on a fast growing, thick hedge to plant along pretty much all the boundaries of the yard.
    I'll probably plant that before I start on all the remodeling the house needs.
    If I don't host a swap this fall, I'll be targeting a second try sometime in late summer 2011. That might be my next chance at a free weekend.

• snowhare
    16 years ago

Its my first summer at gardening and I am hopelessly hooked! I am not ready for fall but I am looking forward to some fall gardening... my summer garden did really great, beyond my expectations, still going strong and my cool weather vegs are coming nicely, some were just sown last weekend. I need to start thinking about pruning.... instead of gardening next summer.

=) Snow

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Hi Snow,
    Could I ask what you planted? I was just wondering if it was too late in the year to start anything.... except garlic, I have to remember to put some garlic in!

• snowhare
    16 years ago

Hi kato_b, I assume you meant what I planted for the fall... I sowed okra, pumpkin, peas, and a bunch of different greens for salad about a month ago. They are coming along great, not sure if we would get some okra in time though. I was given some free cabbage plants, quite some time ago and they havent done much... I guess they might this fall. Last weekend, I sowed some more greens. Definitely not too late for those. I try to use kinds that would be ready rather quickly, like 45 days or so... at least for this fall. I started rather late this summer and most of the "summer" plants were transplants.

Definitely going to start earlier next year! I might even try some wintersowing. =)

Sponsored