Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
burning bush's leaves are falling off

Posted by cleanqueen western PA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 08 at 19:55

I've had my burning bushes in for the second summer now. All of a sudden in the last week I noticed toward the back and bottom of the bush the leaves are turning brown, drying up and falling off. I don't see any bugs on the leaves. Is this a fungus maybe? What could be causing this and what can I do before all I have left is just a bare bush? Last summer all of my hollys got a fungus that about killed them. I sprayed them with Mancozeb and it straightened them out. This year they are healthy, with alot of new growth and thriving. I wonder if my burning bushes have a fungus?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: burning bush's leaves are falling off

Sorry to hear about your burning bushes, cleanqueen. I'm sorry I can't offer any help, but I feel your pain. Our Callery Pear has suffered from something this season, and is dropping its leaves super early. I can tell you we had an arborist out for a consultation, and they are very helpful at telling you what's going on with your trees and shrubs.
Good luck!

o

• Posted by deb2 Z6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 08 at 20:11

If the leaves look like they are fading/loosing their green color and then falling off, it is probably spider mites. Spider mites are very hard to see - even with a magnifying glass. They like it hot and dry and typically the hottest, sunniest side of the plant will have the problem first.

o

shake leaves or branches over white paper - if it is mites they will show up.
Before you take action - maybe it just needs water. Plants will react to stress as a result of drought by droping leaves. Is this in a location that has lots of sun?, is there a nice layer of mulch? It has been dry here in central PA - have you done any additional watering?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here