Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rogue flower or beautiful weed??

Posted by hardrockkid z6 (PA) (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 07 at 21:27

Can you help me ID this lovely flower?

http://picasaweb.google.com/KeeferGuy/Garden/photo#5104663165425177282

It appeared in a patch of weeds... I had a huge spruce tree taken down last winter, and so far haven't managed to plant the bed that I expect to be there. While yanking up all the weeds that had sprung up, I found this.

The flower is about 2" across, on a stem about 15" or so. The flower is slightly fragrant; the leaves are not.

I know it isn't anything I planted. If it is a weed, I want more like this! I wonder if it might not have come from a seed that was long dormant in the dry deep shade under that spruce, and germinated when some light and moisture got in?

Wherever it came from, I'd like to know what it is. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rogue flower or beautiful weed??

Does it close up at night? If so, I think I have them in my garden too. The name is on the tip of my tongue, argh. Starts with an "O"???

o

It's a Venice Mallow - usually considered a weed. It's on a number of state noxious weed lists. But some folks like it. Below is a link to the Dave's Garden listing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Venice Mallow or

o

Thanks! That's it alright.

And this from the Dave's Garden comments fits what happened here:

###The seeds came be dormant for 50 years the are where these started to grow had not been touched in 23 years so crunch those numbers. All it took was the rain and a little sun and they invaded like Atilla the Hun. ###

(Except I think there is only that one so far)

And although it is a beautiful flower, sounds like it might not be worth it. I'll have to think it over.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here