Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Highbush blueberries

Posted by tomp_in_pa z6PA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 22:43

does anyone know if there are wild highush blueberries growing in SE PA anywhere?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Highbush blueberries

I don't know about SE PA but in SC PA in the Michaux State forest we have loads of wild lowbush (well at the leaset they appear to be lowbush because the deer don't let them grow very much) blueberries. But the deer & birds eat them, I don't bother. But they are all over our woods.

o

From the USDA map, it looks as though it grows in most counties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vaccinium corymbosum

o

I've seen them in the Lehigh Valley. Rare in exurban areas, fast disappearing. They like wetlands, also fast disappearing.

o

I agree with pinkmountain. I used to see nice patches of blueberries along the local stream when I was younger. Now the very same area outside West Chester is home to a golf course and Toll Brothers mcmansions. I doubt they are there still and I'll never know since it's private land. The farmers that used to keep up the land used to wave when they saw you out there. The golfers on the other hand ... well two of them threatened to do me bodily harm with there clubs right in front of my 8 year old daughter while I was walking the woodline with her.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here