Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steel_magnolia_usa

What blooms mid-Aug thru frost?

steel_magnolia_usa
17 years ago

My goal is to have a garden that blooms from March through October. I have done great so far in that I have flowers blooming strongly from March until about mid-August. Everything seems to fade and die off now and it's still summer and sooooo beautiful and sunny!

I have asters that will bloom in fall and my calendula blooms til frost. Last year my knapweed bloomed in late fall too!

Do you have any suggestions besides zinnias that will bloom in late Aug, Sept, or October? A few years ago I bought ornamental cabbage and planted those in Sept. and they were gorgeous when the frost came. I'm trying to make my seed list and plant wish list so I can extend blooming a bit more. PS.... please don't suggest mums I'm highly allergic to them!

Comments (11)

• hardrockkid
    17 years ago

Gee, I think there are lots... especially if annuals are a consideration (since you mention zinnias).

But as for perennials, off head top, I'm thinking:

- Fall-blooming anemones (Honorine Jobert, Queen Charlotte and the like)
    - Tall phlox (I *think* mine go pretty much up to the end)
    - Threadleaf coreopsis
    - Autumn crocus
    - Lobelias
    - Helianthus (I have one called "Lorraine Sunshine" that is one of my absolute favorite plants -- beautiful variegated foliage and yellow daisies)
    - Maybe butterfly bush
    - Tricyrtis (toad lilly)
    - Some rudbeckia (at least, that's what I THINK I have... bought at Lowes a few years back tagged as 'Marguerite', but I think it is a Gloriosa Daisy). (Lovely whatever it is... large black-eyed susan like flowers with just a tinge of orange toward the middle)
    - I think maybe Boltonia, but I don't have any so can't say for sure

And I'm sure there are lots more. If you go to an online nursery, many of them have searches where you can enter things like bloom time, hardiness and color.

What the heck -- here is a link to Bluestone's version:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestone custom search

• geoforce
    17 years ago

Heliopsis should continue till frost, and colchicum is a wonderful bulb for the fall. Aster varieties fill in nicely in the fall depending on which varieties you get, and the mums come on anywhen from now till november.

George

• hardrockkid
    17 years ago

>> Heliopsis should continue till frost Doh! Heliopsis -- that's what I meant when I wrote "helianthus". (I think "helianthus" might be common sunflower?)

Anyway, Lorraine Sunshine is a *heliopsis*. And a terrific plant.

• melissas
    17 years ago

My butterfly bushes are blooming, as are my false dragon head (but they are invasive), rudbeckia, mexican evening primroses, and ganzania.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

I have salvias still blooming (eg., 'May Night', which I need to deadhead again!). I have some rebloom on my weigelas. Am still waiting for canna blooms and clematis rebloom.

What I've seen around are cannas, cleome, rudbeckia, crape myrtles, various paniculata hydrangeas (whether "Grandiflora" or "Lime Light", etc), rose of sharon, dahlias, some reblooming daylilies (eg., 'Stella D'oro'), various climbing roses, butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa spp), butterfly bush, & sedum.

• Kathy46
    17 years ago

Still going strong in my garden are Nicotiana, strawflower, abelia (shrub). Currently on 2nd bloom of spireas. Moonflowers are drop dead gorgeous and hyacynth bean vine is revving up. of course the petunias hang in there pretty well into the fall too along with geraniums (pellies). Portulaca is looking good but it's my 1st year with them so I don't know how much cold it will take.
    I'm always looking for things with long bloom times starting mid summer too.

Kathy

• katybird_PA
    17 years ago

Hmmm... I've had my Endless Summer Hydrangea blooming for a long time now, the caryopteris is blooming, obedient plant, echinacea, chelone, kalimeris, boltonia, acontium, Phlox David, solidaster, coreopsis, and cerostigma are all blooming strong right now. There are some others that are either just starting, or are winding down or going through a sparse kind of rebloom.

I almost forgot my most fragrant Hosta are blooming now. I still have anemones, asters, sedum, eupatorium and my pitcher sage still to go.

My favorites at this time of year though are the dahlias and the tender salvias.

• preshie
    17 years ago

Make yourself a "Sedum" garden. My sedums are in bloom now and they will continue to do so til late fall. I love a sedum garden. They are low-to-the-ground growing plants and they come in all sorts of colors and textures. If I could figure out how to post some pictures, I`d show you.

• PRO
    Kestrel Shutters & Doors
    17 years ago

I have some Maximillian Sunflowers that bloom until frost. I'mnot really sure if they are a true sunflower though as they actually send out root systems from which multiple platns grow. The nice thing about that is that they come up every year. The bad part is they are borderline invasive. Thankfully and few tugs and the roots pull out.

I've just kept them in a few areas and pulled them out elsewhere. They grow around 6' to 7' here with a couple dozen blloms, about 2" to 3" across. Very pretty when you get the group affect. Great for property borders.

Good luck,

Jim

• hardrockkid
    17 years ago

Ooh, the Sweet Autumn Clematis is really spicing up the evening air right now!

Although I have to say that most of my tall phlox have had it. They didn't care for that real hot dry stretch in late July/August, and were never quite up to their usual show this year.

• aspenbooboo41
    17 years ago

I agree with Preshie; Sedum is a really good idea. I have Sedum spectabile (Stonecrop) in 'Autumn Joy'. Although it doesn't start blooming until later August, the foliage is very attractive and provides a nice contrast for your earlier blooming plants. It first has a silvery bluish-green thick waxy type leaves. Slowly over summer the leaves lose the silvery bluish tone and turn brighter green. It produces big flower heads in a light green color before bloom; looks kind of like broccoli. When the flower heads first begin to bloom they turn a light pink, then a brighter rose-pink, and then in Autumn will be a gorgeous maroon red.
    The bees love it, and it is a very easy-to-grow, no maintenance perennial.

I've included a link that has info and lots of diff. gardener's photos.

Also Coreopsis 'Autumn Blush' is really nice. Blooms all summer with lighter yellow flowers with a maroon center, then when Autumn comes the outer edges of the flowers also turn maroon. Blooms til frost as far as I know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stonecrop info/pics

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County