Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fusty_overalls

how do you keep purple coneflowers from being so messy?

fusty_overalls
18 years ago

a few years ago, i got my first purple coneflowers...i loved them and was so excited. i told my friend (a more experienced gardener). her response was: "on purpose?!"

several years later, the 5 plants have become dozens and they pop up everywhere...even several feet away from the row (loosely defined as a row...really, more of a large and growing larger section of the garden).

so, how do you keep your purple coneflowers neat? do you dig them out and throw/give them away? do you replant them closer to the original "row"? how often do you have to dig them to split them (if ever)? and, do you have anything planted in with them? i alternated some plantings of gladiolus but they've never been much more than weedy looking as they struggle amongst the robust coneflower foliage.

i have such trouble throwing away nice plants and i still do love purple coneflowers. because of that, my side garden, which used to be a mixed cottage garden is pretty much...my coneflower garden.

anyone in the western side of pgh area want some nice plants? :) i'd be happy to dig some out and give them to a good home.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!