Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbrandenburg_gw

Western Pa Plant Swap Thanks Everyone!

cbrandenburg
16 years ago

Our plant swap was wonderful, inspite of all the rain. Thanks to everyone who made this swap a great success. I have so many wonderful plants to get into the ground this week. The food was fantastic, what a wonderful lunch we had, great Sloppy Joes, Broccoli Salad, Potato Salad, Beans, my nephew loved them beans, I think he ate 2 plates full, and that wonderful dish that Krist brought, recipe below. All the great desserts and dips, and muffins, the coffee was perfect for the rainy day we had. If I forgot anything, I am sorry, I was full all day from that wonderful meal.

Recipe

Chile Relleno Casserole

1 (5 0r 6 oz) can of evaporated milk

4 eggs

12 to 14 chilies or other large chilies roasted and peeled Krista used the Anaheim Pepper that Ross grew

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

2 Tbsp. flour

3/4 lb. Monterey Jack Cheese, grated

3/4 lb. Cheddar Cheese, grated (Krista told me she grated her cheese.

After greasing an 8-9 inch pan, place half the chilies and cover with half the cheese. Add another layer of chilies, then another layer of cheese. Beat eggs, add milk, and baking powder, flour and salt. Pour on top. Bake 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Thank you Linda for all the emailing and posting, you did a great job.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Cathy

Comments (9)

• dirtdiva
    16 years ago

Ahhhh. It had to be Ross's home grown peppers that made that dish so great. Thank you for the recipe and for organizing the swap.
    Thank you everyone for all of the beautiful plants you brought.

• maozamom NE Ohio
    16 years ago

I had a wonderful time and came home with some great plants. What more could you ask for besides great food, wonderful plants and the best people that all share an interest with you?

My daughter had a hard time understanding the whole concept of a plant swap, she kept asking how much it cost and how does it work, so when she had the day free because of a last minute cancellation we invited her and her family to come. As a new gardener she didn't know what to expect but she was really impressed. I know this won't be her last plant swap.

Tammy wanted the recipe.She'll be happy when I forward it to her.

Thank you Linda and Cathy for hosting this event and welcoming us even though there was more of us than you were expecting.

• hoehum
    16 years ago

Cathy and Linda and Ross,
    Thanks so much for organizing the swap! I can't think of a more perfect setting--especially with the showers!

The food was fabulous, as always. And the plants, Oh my! My garden is so full and I didn't think I'd bring much home. Yeah, right. My new hostas are completely different colors than anything I have and the coral bell . . . lets just say that when I got home I walked around the yard with them. (Now to start removing a few things to make room.)

My brother-in-law will be thrilled with all the day lillies.

Cathy, I had to laugh at your post to the thread about bamboo in Pgh.

• crazypalmlady
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for inviting us to join your swap. It was our first, but will not be our last. You are a great group of people. We enjoyed meeting everyone and the food was great. Spent all day Sunday in the rain planting plants.
    Thanks for posting the recipe. I will be making it this week.

Linda and Sharon from Boardman OH

• murial
    16 years ago

Thank you all also. I had a wonderful time! New plants are just great.
    I too spent all afternoon in the pouring rain planting yesterday.

Tried to explain to a friend how combining food, plants and people who can talk gardening for hours on end without getting bored and think you're growing a second head is the absolute best!

Bean recipe is in my head, but super easy if you want the recipe I can convert it for you. It's my standard take-along to picnics.

Have a great week.
    cj

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone, just go home from DJ'S, what a wonderful place. I bought several creeping sedums 8 in all for $1.00 each, what a buy, and a beautiful Iris Ensata, white, need to check the tag for the name, and I bought a beautiful Chartruse Little Honey Oakleaf Hydrangea, it's beautiful. And I've never seen Troy's Gold Plectranthus, just beautiful, had to have that. I plan on overwintering the Plectranthus. I am going back there in the spring. I'll let you know when and maybe we can meet there. I also went to Cottage Gardens, another wonderful place. We only purchased a blueberry bush there, it was a great price, only $12.00, big and beautiful in a 3 gallon pot. There are several things I would love to have from there. I need to save my money for the next trip to both places. DJ's had the nicest hosta I've seen, and what a selection of everthing else. I told him I found out about his business from the plant swap and he told me CJ mentioned she was going to a plant swap. CJ thanks for letting me know about DJ's. I could have spent all day there looking at all his beautiful plants, and what a wonderful person he is to talk to.

See you in the Spring!!

Cathy

• dirtdiva
    16 years ago

Cathy
    Get on his mailing list. A couple of times in the spring he has a "breakfast". Everyone comes to eat and talk about plants, he answers questions...then the good part, you get to shop!! Did you see the iris cristata he had? Great little native. A spring date sounds great. CJ usually makes it to all of his events.

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh no, I didn't get on his mailing list, I didn't see anything to sign up for a mailing list. We were there around 9 o'clock in the morning, LOL. Please let me know when you get yours. I would love to come for a breakfast and talk plants, what fun that would be. Maybe we could have a mini plant swap in his big parking lot, LOL. We talked coleus, I told him I grew several sun varieties and he told me he had sold over 1000 coleus in pots this spring/summer, he said he had 25 different varieties, I know he'll have something that I don't have.

Cathy

• murial
    16 years ago

I swooned over the coleus that I missed! Let me tell you.

I'll keep you posted. Or if you want to email me your address I can add it to his list when I go for my mums this week.

The events usually are on Saturdays, and include everything from Herb classes, to potting classes. Some with reservations, some without. He had a breakfast thing in June, July, and August. Open gardens were open for 3 days in July - and also coincided with the garden tours outside of Mercer for Victorian Weekend. Also there is an evening in the garden in July.
    Customer Appreciation day is do die for!

Upcoming event is the 29th of this month. Fall clean-up and maintenance and garden tour. I love it because it's one more chance to see all the gardens and grab your last fix for the season! No reservations for this one.

Cottage Gardens is also loaded earlier in the season. Think about if you want to do any small tours and trades when you come up. I'll be glad to set up something. There is also a smaller place around the corner from me that does mostly annuals, but the setting is nice to see. Also a local herb farm, which I've yet to see. I believe they are having a small fest this weekend.

Sponsored