Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold hardy cacti

Posted by chel12vuk 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 9:10

What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy in PA? Thanks.

Chelsie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold hardy cacti

Well, there are a bunch of Opuntias that can be planted in well draining soils and live just fine. There are at least 2 chollas that also grow well. If you can shelter them from wet winter weather, there are several Pediocactus and Escobarias that will make it, and depending on where you are and what the winter is like, maybe an Echinocereus or 2.

o

You should take a look at this link to John Lonsdale's website. It's a photo album of cactus he grows in SE Pa some out in the open, others under some polycarbonate sheets to keep the winter wet off of them. If you look around the website there are agaves and yuccas too. Good luck!
I'm always between keeping and composting my cacti, they're cool but I really don't have a spot for them, and when the weeds get in there i always get all spined up trying to get them out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy cactus in Pa

o

I would like to try to grow the Cholla tree, I would need to keep it dry though.

o

My Opuntias did well over the last winter, a brutal one. One even had yellow blooms in early summer.

o

Cold Hardy Cactus website has a bunch of stuff for our zones!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold Hardy Cactus

o

For that desert look, I stick to Opuntia humifusa, sempervivum, and Yucca (filifera or gloriosa). There are a couple of hardy agaves I have seen sold but have not tried. I have the Yucca gloriosa tricolor and it looks pretty much like an agave anyway. I know there are a few other species of true cacti that will make it if the soil is dry. What I like about the hardy Opuntia, is that you can just throw the pads anywhere and they will grow, flower, and spread regardless of your soil...unless you're in a bog!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here