Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudy625

Anyone growing Brugmansias in Wilkes Barre /Scranton area?

rudy625
15 years ago

Hi all,I am new to this forum,I hang out in the Brugmansia forum,but I was wondering if any of you grow BRUGS (Angels Trumpets) in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area.I have been growing them for about 10 years,and have never met another grower in this area.Not to be confused with"Daturas"or Devils Trumpets,which I also grow.

Dan in W-B

Comments (3)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    15 years ago

Hi Dan,
    I'm not a grower right now, but had a few big plants a couple years back. They are awesome plants when in full bloom and the fragrance is almost too much. I wanted to start a few of them up again (I gave the plants away to a friend who still has them) but chickened out because of small kids in the yard. Maybe when they get older....

Perrenial Point in Plains always has some for sale each year and sometimes have a few big ones on display... more so in previous years though.

I saw a couple listed in the paper for sale not long ago. I think the seller wanted $50 a piece! I wonder if they were intended for something other than horticultural uses.

• rudy625
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reply, kato.I know what they say about brugs being poisonus,but they are in the same family as tomatos,potato,and a few others that people have at their homes including poinsettias,dumbcane,and most houseplants ,which are all tropical or sub-tropical plants.But,I guess it is better safe than sorry,when it comes to our children,altho most people don't blink an eye when they have a garden full of tomato plants around their kids.Any non food plant or flower that we grow should not be eaten,smoked or otherwise ingested,but I'm getting down off my soapbox now.The reason I asked if anyone grew them in this area is because I will be trimming about 10 ,over 7 foot tall brugs soon,and was going to offer good sized cuttings free for pick-up only,but I guess it's onto the compost pile for them.If you do decide to grow them again in the future,I have Super Nova,Dble Peach,Miss Emily McKensie,Desiree.I will check back on this forum next spring to see if you will want come cuttings. They are free,you will just hav to pick them up. Thanks for the reply, Dan

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    15 years ago

that's not very nice of you Dan... all of a sudden I feel the need to add a bunch of brugs to my yard!!!!

I think the ones still surviving at my friends are one NOID white and a Charles Grimaldi. Let me know if you want to add either.

I agree with you on the whole toxic thing. I think they smell horrible, I can only imagine how they taste- not much danger there, but...... you know how it is, I'm still just a little paranoid. (I should probably worry more about the yews and pokeweed that are all over the yard!)

Are your plants potted or in the ground? When I grow them again I hope to have a few in the ground so they really take off!

Let me know if you want to add any other tropicals to your collection. I have a hibiscus, a couple banannas and elephant ears that could use a better home than the neglect they get here.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA