Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kato_b

Gazing globes

katob Z6ish, NE Pa
18 years ago

Is there something wrong with me? I'm starting to like those gazing globes that people stand out in their yards.... you know, the glassy blue or gold or similar color bowling balls that sit on a pedestal. I read somewhere that they're supposed to protect your house from witches, ie. the witch approaches your house but is repelled when she sees her own reflection in the gazing ball.

It's not like I want a ceramic donkey or deer statue for the yard..... it's just a pretty shiny little globe. Maybe it's cottage gardeny and therefore ok?

Halloween is coming. Maybe I should consider this as my first line of defense against goblins etc.

Kato

Comments (8)

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

I had heard the gazing globes were to scare off animals like bunnies that would eat your plants when they saw their reflection they would think it was another and leave. Patty

• gazania_gw
    18 years ago

Too funny Kato! I, being one to resist being caught up in 'fads' became mesmerized with gazing globes when they began appearing in fashionable yards 5 or so years ago. About 40 or so years ago a snooty neighbor had one. Back then they were only in silver and only the upper class had them, at least that is how it seemed to jealous me. But now after looking for 5 years and failing to find that perfect color to match my front door, I have lost interest. Gives me time to chase after some other elusive garden art. Pink Flamingos are out, but I think I would like an 18 to 24 inch round boulder with a lot of pink color in it. And while I am looking there will be all these wonderful little plants to find and to my collection.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm sorry but I have to make a witch and goblin joke:

Patty~ Rabbits are scared by the globes because they are goblin' up your plants.... ouch!

I have no idea where I heard the witch thing, it could be one of those stories someone made up and kept repeating, I'm not sure. Anyway I doubt I'll get one of those globes, I'm not big on trends either, unless (I'm making a confession here)... unless the trend is well disguised with snob appeal. We have the trendy personalized house number, the trendy named hostas, trendy stainless steel appliances, and if I could afford them, I'd have trendy epimediums and hellebores. Hopefully these trends last, because it will be a number of years before we can afford a new trend!
    Kato

• tmtmom
    18 years ago

I don't know about gazing globes, but "witch balls" are an old German tradition- like a gazing globe but smaller and hung in windows, supposedly to discourage evil spirits from entering- and at some point they started being used as Christmas ornaments too. The large garden gazing globes were popular in Victorian times- really elaborate or gaudy or glitzy stuff was very desireable then. But I have to admit they have a certain appeal! They're especially nice when they've aged a little, so they're not so shiny and garish- though I guess the whole idea is to see the garden reflected them- and some of the new ones come in wonderful, subtle colors, opalescent or pearly, or swirls of several colors...sigh...I'm beginning to covet them and will probably break down eventually...I don't think you should let any preconceived notions affect your decision about getting one- if you like it, go for it! Our neighbor has what appears to be a genuine bowling ball on a pedestal, and to me the tackiest gazing ball you can buy would be an improvement. But where's the fun if everyone has the same taste in garden decoration- to each his own! I've even been eyeing those large plastic beachballs- the purple ones would be beautiful tossed in among pink or red or orange flowers.....

• mombo
    18 years ago

Went to Hershey Gardens on Monday and they had a beautiful gazing globe in the children's garden. It had several colors and was most attractive. There was a sign next to it warning not to touch because it was hot from the sun. Of course I had to touch it and yes was it ever hot. I hope the children heed the warning that I didn't. Guess I'm just a rebel without a clue.

• springcherry
    18 years ago

I like them because they are a pleasing shape, glass and have a tradtition behind them. They are also cheap if one takes a tip from the Garden Junk forum and makes one -- not quite as grand as the store-bought -- but if its what you can afford...

Take an old ball--tennis ball, baseball, or anything round and fairly hard. Buy waterproof silicone glue -- I use Plumbers or Marine Goop, available at any hardware type store. Then get some half marbles. These are at craft stores and the various -Marts. Then glue a layer of half marbles to cover the ball(usually just a few at a time. Let them set for 5 minutes. Then do the next few. Ideal activity while watching TV or in between cooking tasks.) Give it a day to fully set. Then do a second layer on top of the first. And voila -- a home-made gazing ball.

See the link for the baseball gracing my front yard.

Say goodbye Springcherry
    Goodbye

Here is a link that might be useful:

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Springcherry,
    I was a little doubtful at first but the photo looks good! I wonder if I could scrounge up an old bowling ball. Of course with my luck a bee would sting me, I'd stumble back, bump the 7 pound gazing ball and Doh! it would fall on my foot.

• tmtmom
    18 years ago

The half-marble idea actually works- very pretty! I've wondered if you could take a large round vase or fishbowl- you could get one cheap at a flea market or thrift shop- and somehow line the interior with foil- using some sort of waterproof glue- either aluminum foil or colored craft foil. Like decoupage, but on the inside. Then turn it upside-down and place it on a pedestal. Voila!
    What effect would a gazing globe have Feng Shui-wise in a garden? Inside the house, mirrors or other reflective objects can be used to deflect harmful elements- maybe a gazing globe could disperse the dangerous energy from traffic. Or an unfriendly neighbor. But since it reflects all the way around, not just in one direction, maybe it would, uh, reflect your own energy back at you, and...ok, would someone explain what I think I'm saying?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!