Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
volunteering at Horsham historical garden restoration

Posted by pipersville_carol z6 Bucks PA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 22, 06 at 12:46

My employer just started a program called Time off to Do Good, where employees can take a paid weekday off to volunteer for a non-profit. I've scheduled a day with the Horsham historical society. They're restoring a period garden and said they've got lots of work for a gardener.

I'm fascinated by period gardens and am really looking forward to this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: volunteering at Horsham historical garden restoration

It sounds like a wonderful thing to do Carol and I'm really impressed with your boss. I wonder how many other employers out there would do this. Good for both of you.Where is the garden they are restoring?

o

I think the garden is adjacent to the Willow Grove airforce base.

o

Well, I spent the day pruning and tying grape vines onto a restored grape arbor. The house is called Graehm Park, and I think the earliest parts date to 1721. The farm compound itself was pristine and unchanged, but if you walked up the hill a bit you could see the huge gray tails of parked military aircraft looming above the trees. An piquant juxtaposition of ancient and modern.

One thing I learned... working in someone else's garden is just plain WORK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here